- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy 3 Months Ago
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him 3 Months Ago
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console 3 Months Ago
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor 3 Months Ago
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now
Is this really how they weather jeans?
Have you ever wondered how bobby pins are sorted, ice sculptures are made, or how broccoli is bundled? Most everyone has a cool job story or two, but a surprising number of these interesting moments in working life have been immortalized on TikTok.
The media sharing app, which mimics similar applications like the now-shuttered Vine, allows users to create short videos with or without accompanying music. A Twitter user named Kaitlin Reed put together a thread of perhaps the most watchable videos TikTok has to offer. They detail the surprisingly fascinating tedium of everyday jobs.
The careers included in Reed’s thread vary from the ordinary to the mysterious. Many of the jobs center around things we see every day, like the aforementioned broccoli. The process behind them, however, was mysterious—until now.
Take, for instance, this young woman’s expert handling of bobby pins. It takes practice to work with that kind of precision!
One of my favorite things about @tiktok_us is when people share videos of their jobs.— Kaitlyn Reed (@kkaitlynreedd) April 18, 2019
So here’s a thread of some of the most unique jobs & talented people I’ve discovered on #tiktok pic.twitter.com/IhCkC0v6ED
Reed has a whole series of these hidden gems.
Okay, maybe the guy pushing his friend on the swing isn’t working quite as hard as everyone else on the list. But that guy with the ice? How many organs to I need to sell to eat my ice cream out of an ice sculpture?
There were a few mystery jobs included as well. A few bobby pins or a chunk of ice are easy to recognize, but what exactly is this woman doing?
Some of the videos provided a magical window into the process behind common jobs. Is this really how they put heads of broccoli together?
Some of the jobs just displayed employees’ incredible talent. Watch and be amazed by what a skillful chef can do with just a root vegetable and a knife.
Thanks to Reed’s thread, we all learned a few things about how everyday jobs look behind the scenes. It turns out, people working may just be the most interesting thing on TikTok.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.