- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted 10 Months Ago
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Today 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Today 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Today 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Today 2:03 PM
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Today 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Today 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Today 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Today 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Today 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Today 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Today 11:29 AM
- William Barr questions whether tech companies should be protected for user content Today 11:10 AM
- The Bloomberg campaign has reached its post-parody zenith Today 10:35 AM
- Ben Affleck explains why he lied about his back tattoo Today 10:28 AM
Have you ever wondered how bobby pins are sorted, ice sculptures are made, or how broccoli is bundled? Most everyone has a cool job story or two, but a surprising number of these interesting moments in working life have been immortalized on TikTok.
The media sharing app, which mimics similar applications like the now-shuttered Vine, allows users to create short videos with or without accompanying music. A Twitter user named Kaitlin Reed put together a thread of perhaps the most watchable videos TikTok has to offer. They detail the surprisingly fascinating tedium of everyday jobs.
The careers included in Reed’s thread vary from the ordinary to the mysterious. Many of the jobs center around things we see every day, like the aforementioned broccoli. The process behind them, however, was mysterious—until now.
Take, for instance, this young woman’s expert handling of bobby pins. It takes practice to work with that kind of precision!
One of my favorite things about @tiktok_us is when people share videos of their jobs.— Kaitlyn Reed (@kkaitlynreedd) April 18, 2019
So here’s a thread of some of the most unique jobs & talented people I’ve discovered on #tiktok pic.twitter.com/IhCkC0v6ED
Reed has a whole series of these hidden gems.
Okay, maybe the guy pushing his friend on the swing isn’t working quite as hard as everyone else on the list. But that guy with the ice? How many organs to I need to sell to eat my ice cream out of an ice sculpture?
There were a few mystery jobs included as well. A few bobby pins or a chunk of ice are easy to recognize, but what exactly is this woman doing?
Some of the videos provided a magical window into the process behind common jobs. Is this really how they put heads of broccoli together?
Some of the jobs just displayed employees’ incredible talent. Watch and be amazed by what a skillful chef can do with just a root vegetable and a knife.
Thanks to Reed’s thread, we all learned a few things about how everyday jobs look behind the scenes. It turns out, people working may just be the most interesting thing on TikTok.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.