- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
TikTok favorite Lil Nas X ropes in Billy Ray Cyrus for ‘Old Town Road’ remix
Lil Nas X’s hit song was kicked off the country charts. He found a clever way back.
Lil Nas X just debuted the remix of “Old Town Road” featuring Billy Ray Cyrus, a collaboration so left-field that it makes perfect sense. The country music world hasn’t known quite how to categorize Lil Nas X, and Cyrus cited his own experience with the fickle charts in a tweet this week.
.@LilNasX Been watching everything going on with OTR. When I got thrown off the charts, Waylon Jennings said to me “Take this as a compliment” means you’re doing something great! Only Outlaws are outlawed. Welcome to the club!— Billy Ray Cyrus (@billyraycyrus) April 3, 2019
Lil Nas X tweeted back in December, when the song was released, about getting Cyrus on the song.
twitter please help me get billy ray cyrus on this pic.twitter.com/UDoeiOZqc1— nope (@LilNasX) December 5, 2018
The TikTok challenge that helped “Old Town Road” go viral is somewhat tied into the yeehaw agenda, a social media movement that highlights the deep roots between Black culture and cowboy culture, which have largely been erased in popular country music. That was illustrated in real time when Billboard removed “Old Town Road” from its Hot Country Songs chart last month. A representative told Rolling Stone that while the song “incorporates references to country and cowboy imagery, it does not embrace enough elements of today’s country music to chart in its current version.”
On social media, the subtext of the statement was clearer: the “elements” missing were whiteness. With that framing, the remix is a clever way back to the charts. Or, perhaps, a middle finger to the industry. Or both.
billboard: we’re going to be assholes and take your country song off the charts—— Rebecca Mix (@rebeccarmix) April 5, 2019
billy ray cyrus: pic.twitter.com/W8l2P66DPb
Billy Ray Cyrus: “Baby's got a habit, diamond rings and Fendi sports bras— Tom Petrini (@RealTomPetrini) April 5, 2019
Ridin' down Rodeo in my Maserati sports car”
Lil Nas X walking back onto the Country Billboard charts with his Billy Ray Cyrus approved remix of "Old Town Road" pic.twitter.com/iGpDCTsV3N— Joe Anthony Myrick (@WamBamItsJAM) April 5, 2019
Billy Ray Cyrus and Lil Nas X on that Old Town Road Remix pic.twitter.com/4X8GJxyyHd— Chidden Nuddet (@Sir_Hurizzel) April 5, 2019
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.