- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
When the Distracted Boyfriend meme exploded on the internet last year, it quickly became the most popular meme of 2017. Now, the omnipresent stock photo has become perhaps the most notoriously popular meme of all time. Even the average person who is not Extremely Online can likely instantly recognize the trio of players, and the meme has gone on to inspire intentional imitations as well as accidental copycats, popping up everywhere from Star Wars cosplayers at Comic-con to 18th-century paintings.
The latest such accidental Distracted Boyfriend meme comes to us from the “bi irl” subreddit, where the following wedding photo outtake appeared over the weekend. In the photo, a newly married couple is seen standing on a beach, with the groom seemingly distracted by the muscled, Speedo-wearing hunk behind him majestically emerging from the surf with a gold chain dangling in the sun.
It didn’t take long before someone connected the dots and realized that the photo evoked Distracted Boyfriend—or, groom, in this case—as you can see in a tweet that went viral early Monday. ” Is… is this an improved version of the ‘Distracted Boyfriend’ meme,” writes Twitch “gaymer” @skylxrksays on Twitter.
From there, others joined in on the fun, using the new and improved meme to joke about a variety of things, including the meme itself, gaming, and the internet’s latest darling, the new Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty.
[email protected] (@mikeyil) October 1, 2018
And then a few people got extremely meta with it:
George Michael - Careless Whisper.mp3 pic.twitter.com/y0hT7dPs6b— Visakan Veerasamy (@visakanv) October 1, 2018
It’s unclear where the photo originated from before it made its way to Reddit, or if the bride and groom would have a sense of humor about their newfound viral fame. There are certainly worse things to happen in wedding photos. For instance, it could have been Adam Sandler stealing the bride’s thunder.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.