- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food 12 Months Ago
- Government sues Edward Snowden for breaking a non-disclosure agreement 12 Months Ago
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Olympiacos in the Champions League Today 1:56 PM
- ‘Love Island’ star’s Instagram photo doctored for MAGA hat ad Today 1:16 PM
- Los Tigres del Norte carry on Johnny Cash’s legacy in stellar Folsom Prison concert film Today 1:05 PM
- Keke Palmer’s ‘sorry to this man’ meme is perfect Today 12:59 PM
- Hoodies with fake bullet holes from prominent school shootings spark outrage Today 12:44 PM
- Instagram apologizes for censoring pictures of fish Today 12:40 PM
- George R.R. Martin clarifies some things about the ‘Game of Thrones’ Targaryen prequel Today 12:20 PM
- Bill Mitchell, the Trump-loving QAnon scammer, is pushing ammunition for a civil war Today 11:53 AM
- How to stream Tigres vs. Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup final Today 11:48 AM
- How to stream Bayern Munich vs. Belgrade Red Star in Champions League action Today 11:36 AM
- HBO Max gains the streaming rights to ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Today 11:30 AM
- Everyone hates this Russian rapper’s pro-Putin music video Today 10:34 AM
- Skull fire logs are here to make you look like a gleeful murderer Today 10:30 AM
When the Distracted Boyfriend meme exploded on the internet last year, it quickly became the most popular meme of 2017. Now, the omnipresent stock photo has become perhaps the most notoriously popular meme of all time. Even the average person who is not Extremely Online can likely instantly recognize the trio of players, and the meme has gone on to inspire intentional imitations as well as accidental copycats, popping up everywhere from Star Wars cosplayers at Comic-con to 18th-century paintings.
The latest such accidental Distracted Boyfriend meme comes to us from the “bi irl” subreddit, where the following wedding photo outtake appeared over the weekend. In the photo, a newly married couple is seen standing on a beach, with the groom seemingly distracted by the muscled, Speedo-wearing hunk behind him majestically emerging from the surf with a gold chain dangling in the sun.
It didn’t take long before someone connected the dots and realized that the photo evoked Distracted Boyfriend—or, groom, in this case—as you can see in a tweet that went viral early Monday. ” Is… is this an improved version of the ‘Distracted Boyfriend’ meme,” writes Twitch “gaymer” @skylxrksays on Twitter.
From there, others joined in on the fun, using the new and improved meme to joke about a variety of things, including the meme itself, gaming, and the internet’s latest darling, the new Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty.
[email protected] (@mikeyil) October 1, 2018
And then a few people got extremely meta with it:
George Michael - Careless Whisper.mp3 pic.twitter.com/y0hT7dPs6b— Visakan Veerasamy (@visakanv) October 1, 2018
It’s unclear where the photo originated from before it made its way to Reddit, or if the bride and groom would have a sense of humor about their newfound viral fame. There are certainly worse things to happen in wedding photos. For instance, it could have been Adam Sandler stealing the bride’s thunder.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.