- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
‘Star Wars’ cosplayers reenact the Distracted Boyfriend meme at San Diego Comic-Con
The latest take on the meme came together in spectacular fashion at San Diego Comic-Con over the weekend that mashed up one of Star Wars’ most beloved films with its most recent with cosplayers jujukitty2323, socalcostumes, and Griffin Reina. Solo-era Han Solo catches a glimpse of Leia Organa circa A New Hope walking by, and Qi’ra, who’s by his side, isn’t too pleased.
Wasted Fett, who originally posted the photo to Instagram, had a much different caption for the Twitter photo.
My Falcon don’t want none unless you got buns, hun. pic.twitter.com/1KrbL5p4LN
— WastedFett (@WastedFett) July 23, 2018
And it was very much a hit online.
THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED AT COMIC CON!!!! https://t.co/NeBr7Ur0qZ
— J.Grü 💬 (@jengrunwald) July 23, 2018
That's not how the Force works. https://t.co/7mWiNHYDSu
— SG Temple Prime (@SGTemplePrime) July 23, 2018
The funniest this meme has ever been. https://t.co/pxOBtczflb
— Stephen Monteith (@ThePapermage) July 23, 2018
In the Star Wars universe, it’s unclear if such a scenario would ever play out. We’re not sure if Qi’ra is still alive during Han and Leia’s fateful meeting on the Death Star—plus by this point in time Qi’ra’s betrayed him at least once. But the Distracted Boyfriend meme doesn’t take something like that into consideration, instead framing it as something much more universal: Han looking from his first love to the woman who would change his life; there’s just a hint of the scoundrel we know him as in the mix.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.