- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb 8 Months Ago
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever 8 Months Ago
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
‘Star Wars’ cosplayers reenact the Distracted Boyfriend meme at San Diego Comic-Con
The latest take on the meme came together in spectacular fashion at San Diego Comic-Con over the weekend that mashed up one of Star Wars’ most beloved films with its most recent with cosplayers jujukitty2323, socalcostumes, and Griffin Reina. Solo-era Han Solo catches a glimpse of Leia Organa circa A New Hope walking by, and Qi’ra, who’s by his side, isn’t too pleased.
Wasted Fett, who originally posted the photo to Instagram, had a much different caption for the Twitter photo.
My Falcon don’t want none unless you got buns, hun. pic.twitter.com/1KrbL5p4LN
— WastedFett (@WastedFett) July 23, 2018
And it was very much a hit online.
THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED AT COMIC CON!!!! https://t.co/NeBr7Ur0qZ
— J.Grü 💬 (@jengrunwald) July 23, 2018
That's not how the Force works. https://t.co/7mWiNHYDSu
— SG Temple Prime (@SGTemplePrime) July 23, 2018
The funniest this meme has ever been. https://t.co/pxOBtczflb
— Stephen Monteith (@ThePapermage) July 23, 2018
In the Star Wars universe, it’s unclear if such a scenario would ever play out. We’re not sure if Qi’ra is still alive during Han and Leia’s fateful meeting on the Death Star—plus by this point in time Qi’ra’s betrayed him at least once. But the Distracted Boyfriend meme doesn’t take something like that into consideration, instead framing it as something much more universal: Han looking from his first love to the woman who would change his life; there’s just a hint of the scoundrel we know him as in the mix.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.