- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
There’s a Yuri on Ice movie in the works, but when will season 2 arrive?
The show follows fictional Japanese figure skater Yuri Katsuki, who renews his career by partnering with coach Victor Nikiforov, a legendary champion and Yuri’s childhood idol. It combines a cute love story with expert depictions of competitive skating, balancing comedic moments with more serious themes like mental illness.
The good news is, there’s more Yuri on Ice in the works already. The bad news is, it’s not a second season. Yet. Here’s everything we know so far about Yuri on Ice season 2.
Yuri on Ice season 2 news
On July 1, Yuri on Ice livestreamed a special live music event on YouTube. Upon its conclusion, the long-rumored Yuri on Ice movie was officially confirmed, but it’s unclear how the movie will impact plans for Yuri on Ice season 2.
- Why Yuri on Ice was one of the best shows of 2016
- The best anime on Netflix
- The best anime on YouTube
- The best anime theme songs ever
The show’s creators announced a sequel movie at a Yuri on Ice fan event in April. The film will definitely be new material, rather than being a compilation from the existing season. They haven’t revealed the release date yet, but we can expect to watch it on Crunchyroll in the U.S.
Titled Ice Adolescence, the Yuri on Ice movie is due out in 2019, from the same creative team as the show (writer/concept artist Mitsurou Kubo and director Sayo Yamamoto). This news arrived with a teaser and poster on July 1, showing Victor Nikiforov on an icy beach. Many believe that, based on the brief teaser, the movie will actually be a prequel that, as the title suggests, covers more of Victor’s youth.
The Yuri on Ice live show
The film was announced at a live show called “Yuri on Stage,” where the voice actors reunited to perform a short story by series creator Mitsurō Kubo. It takes place in Yuri’s hometown of Hasetsu and involves a misunderstanding where Victor gets jealous of someone he believes is Yuri’s ex-girlfriend.
“Yuri on Stage” was live-tweeted and discussed online when it took place in April, so if you’re a Yuri on Ice fan, there’s a chance you already know what happens. But if you’re keen to see how it all played out on stage, you can order a DVD or Blu-ray of the event on July 28. It includes the short story along with other fan convention moments like cast Q&As.
Yuri on Ice season 2 release date
Season 2 hasn’t been confirmed yet, but we’re optimistic about it happening after the movie. The first season was a runaway success, attracting a massive international audience and selling a ton of merchandise. That’s a recipe for guaranteed renewal.
- The easiest ways to watch anime online
- How to make the most of your Crunchyroll subscription
- The 10 best anime on Hulu right now
- The 15 best horror anime series streaming right now
Yuri on Ice season 2 trailer
The film’s trailer hasn’t been released yet, but we did recently see some new material from the show. The season 1 DVDs included a new routine from Yuri Katsuki’s Russian rival, Yuri Plisetsky. It’s an exhibition skate (the performance that takes place after the main competition), set to a track called “Welcome to the Madness.”
Yuri Plisetsky is, of course, going through a teen punk phase.
You can find bootlegs of the full performance online, although you really ought to buy the DVDs
This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor