- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age 2 Years Ago
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Today 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Today 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Today 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Today 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Today 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Today 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
There’s a Yuri on Ice movie in the works, but when will season 2 arrive?
The show follows fictional Japanese figure skater Yuri Katsuki, who renews his career by partnering with coach Victor Nikiforov, a legendary champion and Yuri’s childhood idol. It combines a cute love story with expert depictions of competitive skating, balancing comedic moments with more serious themes like mental illness.
The good news is, there’s more Yuri on Ice in the works already. The bad news is, it’s not a second season. Yet. Here’s everything we know so far about Yuri on Ice season 2.
Yuri on Ice season 2 news
On July 1, Yuri on Ice livestreamed a special live music event on YouTube. Upon its conclusion, the long-rumored Yuri on Ice movie was officially confirmed, but it’s unclear how the movie will impact plans for Yuri on Ice season 2.
- Why Yuri on Ice was one of the best shows of 2016
- The best anime on Netflix
- The best anime on YouTube
- The best anime theme songs ever
The show’s creators announced a sequel movie at a Yuri on Ice fan event in April. The film will definitely be new material, rather than being a compilation from the existing season. They haven’t revealed the release date yet, but we can expect to watch it on Crunchyroll in the U.S.
Titled Ice Adolescence, the Yuri on Ice movie is due out in 2019, from the same creative team as the show (writer/concept artist Mitsurou Kubo and director Sayo Yamamoto). This news arrived with a teaser and poster on July 1, showing Victor Nikiforov on an icy beach. Many believe that, based on the brief teaser, the movie will actually be a prequel that, as the title suggests, covers more of Victor’s youth.
The Yuri on Ice live show
The film was announced at a live show called “Yuri on Stage,” where the voice actors reunited to perform a short story by series creator Mitsurō Kubo. It takes place in Yuri’s hometown of Hasetsu and involves a misunderstanding where Victor gets jealous of someone he believes is Yuri’s ex-girlfriend.
“Yuri on Stage” was live-tweeted and discussed online when it took place in April, so if you’re a Yuri on Ice fan, there’s a chance you already know what happens. But if you’re keen to see how it all played out on stage, you can order a DVD or Blu-ray of the event on July 28. It includes the short story along with other fan convention moments like cast Q&As.
Yuri on Ice season 2 release date
Season 2 hasn’t been confirmed yet, but we’re optimistic about it happening after the movie. The first season was a runaway success, attracting a massive international audience and selling a ton of merchandise. That’s a recipe for guaranteed renewal.
- The easiest ways to watch anime online
- How to make the most of your Crunchyroll subscription
- The 10 best anime on Hulu right now
- The 15 best horror anime series streaming right now
Yuri on Ice season 2 trailer
The film’s trailer hasn’t been released yet, but we did recently see some new material from the show. The season 1 DVDs included a new routine from Yuri Katsuki’s Russian rival, Yuri Plisetsky. It’s an exhibition skate (the performance that takes place after the main competition), set to a track called “Welcome to the Madness.”
Yuri Plisetsky is, of course, going through a teen punk phase.
You can find bootlegs of the full performance online, although you really ought to buy the DVDs
This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor