- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Teen confesses to killing her best friend on video to get $9 million from a stranger online Wednesday 1:28 PM
- Democrats vote to block transgender troop ban Wednesday 12:17 PM
Star Trek: Discovery’s release date on CBS All Access has already been pushed back from January to May 2017, but Star Trek fans will have to wait even longer to set off into the final frontier with the Discovery crew.
News of the delay came out Wednesday as Discovery announced that James Frain would be joining the cast as Sarek, the Vulcan ambassador to the Federation and an astrophysicist who’s better known as Spock’s father.
Production on Discovery begins in Toronto next week. Although the issues plaguing the show previously are no longer a factor, CBS wanted to hold back and give Discovery the care and attention it needs make it special.
“Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next week. We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created,” CBS All Access representatives said in a statement. “This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it’s best for the show. We’ve said from the beginning it’s more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn’t beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows.”
Entertainment Weekly cited Discovery star Sonequa Martin-Green’s other role in The Walking Dead may create some “marketplace confusion” if CBS advertises her role in Discovery while The Walking Dead is on TV as a potential reason for the delay. Since The Walking Dead has wrapped filming (and doesn’t start again until the summer, assuming Sasha survives), Martin-Green will be able to film Discovery without her other show’s schedule conflicting.
H/T Ars Technica
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.