- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
- Tan France and Alexa Chung are hosting Netflix’s first fashion show Friday 5:42 PM
- Nonprofit groups express concern with pop-up abortion networks Friday 5:06 PM
- Pet owners mourn Grumpy Cat with photos of their own grumpy pets Friday 4:41 PM
Popular retro gaming system will add hundreds of Sega Game Gear titles
The RetroN 5 adds to its preposterously long list of supported retro games.
Soon you will be able to play Sega Game Gear titles on one of the most versatile retro gaming platforms on the market.
“With the amount of Game Gears in the wild,” said Leung according to SEGA Nerds, “the majority of them the screen is dried up, the resistors are cracked, they’re just not working, but you still have tons of cartridges just sitting around… So our retail partners have been begging us to make it work with the Game Gear, and we will have that out by the end of this year.”
Game Gear was Sega’s handheld gaming system, originally released in Japan in October, 1990, at a time in video game history before Nintendo had gained absolute domination over the handheld gaming market. Three different companies, Sega, Atari, and NEC Corporation all had horses in the race with the Game Gear, Lynx, and TurboExpress systems respectively. All three portable consoles failed, and Nintendo emerged to become the reigning champion.
Sega Game Gear was actually a pretty sweet system, back in the day. It played games in full color, whereas the Nintendo Game Boy first had a weird sepia tint screen that was later updated to black and white.
The RetroN 5 console plays games from 10 legacy video game systems including the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, and three flavors of Game Boy. We think the number of games you can play on the RetroN 5 is one billion.
Now you will be able to play one billion plus 360-something, with the upcoming addition of the Sega Game Gear as the 11th console that RetroN 5 can emulate. Hyperkin expects to release the Game Gear adapter later this year.
Screengrab via Hyperkin Gamesinc/YouTube
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.