- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Disney said last week that it would take a three-year break from releasing new Star Wars films after Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker arrives in theaters in December. Now we know who will get the baton next.
Lucasfilm has already confirmed that it’s developing Star Wars films from both The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Speaking at the MoffetNathanson Media & Communications Summit, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that the first film to come out after the end of the Skywalker Saga would be a film from Benioff and Weiss.
Iger’s comments, which were compiled by Slashfilm, came as Iger addressed the gap between The Rise of Skywalker and the first new film to come out in 2022 (with subsequent Star Wars films to be released in December 2024 and 2026).
“I haven’t seen [Episode] 9 finished yet, but I’m confident based on the pieces that I’ve seen and the script that I’ve read that it’s going to be extremely popular. [But we felt] that it would be smart of us to take a bit of a hiatus while we figure out what’s next. Now we’re not going to wait until [Episode] 9 is released and then start figuring it out. We’re actually hard at work doing that already. The conclusion that we reached was three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but to really gear up for the next films released. We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie we release will be theirs. And we’re not saying anything more about that.”
Between Iger’s comments and the divisive reaction to Game of Thrones’ final season this week, fans have been reminded on more than one occasion over the past few days that Benioff and Weiss’ next project is a Star Wars film. It’s leaving some fans newly wary as Benioff and Weiss have been recently criticized for season 8’s controversial narrative choices, not to mention Game of Thrones’ lack of women and non-white writers and directors during the second half of the show’s run.
Nothing else is known about the “series of Star Wars films” that Benioff and Weiss are tapped to write and produce, which was first announced by Lucasfilm in February 2018. But as Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy indicated last month, the future of Star Wars is being planned.
“I’m sitting down now with Dan Weiss and David Benioff…and Rian Johnson,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told the Hollywood Reporter last month. “We’re all sitting down to talk about, where do we go next? We’ve all had conversations about what the possibilities might be, but now we’re locking it down.”
- Dany ignoring the bells becomes instantly iconic ‘Game of Thrones’ meme
- ‘Game of Thrones’ won’t end the way you think
- Why Westeros needs a president, not kings and queens
Need more news from beyond the Wall? Sign up here to receive our weekly Game of Thrones newsletter from in-house expert Michelle Jaworski.
NOW HEAR THIS:
How linguist David J. Peterson created the Dothraki and Valyrian languages for Game of Thrones
Introducing 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST, a weekly comedy show where Alli Goldberg and Jen Jamula (two actors who perform bizarre internet content on stage) have hilarious and humanizing conversations with Bronies, top Reddit mods, professional ticklers, video game archaeologists, dating app engineers, adult babies, cuddling specialists, vampires, Jedi, living dolls, and more.
Subscribe to 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST in your favorite podcast app.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.