- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
This post contains spoilers.
We’ve reached the penultimate episode of the entire Game of Thrones series, but it feels like all the years (and thoughts and feelings) we’ve invested in this show went up in flames along with King’s Landing Sunday night.
3 ways to watch Game of Thrones for free
Everyone is upset, to say the least. And this is after Daenerys Targaryen went ahead and did exactly what everyone wanted her to do after last week’s episode: go full Mad Queen and burn King’s Landing to the ground.
The battle between Dany and Cersei Lannister’s forces started out exhilarating enough: Dany only needed one dragon, Drogon, to lay waste to Euron Greyjoy’s Iron Fleet and all the other scorpions lining the walls of King’s Landing, not to mention the Golden Company, which Dany and Drogon decimated. This gave Jon Snow, Grey Worm, Davos Seaworth, and the remaining Dothraki and Unsullied the opening to attack the rest of Cersei’s forces, who eventually surrendered. Just take out Cersei, and then Dany is assured her victory.
But what happened next made absolutely no sense to people. As @targarcyn observed on Twitter, Dany “hears bells of surrender and for some fucking [absurd] reason starts killing innocents.”
daenerys for 7 seasons: has never harmed anyone innocent, stopped cultures of rape and violence against women, her priority was always the people— maz (@targarcyn) May 13, 2019
daenerys season 8: hears bells of surrender and for some fucking obsurd reason starts killing innocents#GameofThrones
If you feel like you’ve been played, just imagine that’s exactly what Tyrion Lannister and Jon must be feeling after the events of that episode—especially after Dany just proved the warnings of Varys (bless his soul) and Sansa right.
Dany ignoring the bells memes
Dany ignoring the bells and torching King’s Landing was one of the most memed moments of Sunday night’s episode. After realizing that Dany fully intends to attack King’s Landing with Drogon, Tyrion pleaded for her to make her troops fall back once the bells toll to signal the surrender of Cersei’s forces. Dany reluctantly allowed this with a nod at Grey Worm. The bells eventually tolled, but Dany chose to ignore them, prompting fans to flood Twitter with memes of Dany “pretending” to not hear the bells.
It was a big enough moment to warrant ubiquitous SpongeBob memes to make the same point.
To many fans, Dany may as well have been wearing noise-canceling headphones for all the attention she paid those bells.
Or were they AirPods?
The Michael Jordan “Fuck them kids” meme that has been making the rounds all season reared its head in the midst of all the reactions to Dany ignoring the bells.
And so did Dany’s passive-aggressive smile from this season’s second episode.
@yourealobster thinks Dany might as well be saying “The bell doesn’t dismiss you. I do,” in true Mad Queen fashion.
Some fans, like @Ibrahimozcelikk, “fully support the madness.”
There are people who are proud of what she did.
The Targaryens in the afterlife when Daenerys started burning King’s Landing into the ground despite hearing the bells ringing for surrender#GamefThrones #GOTS8E5 #DemThrones— ًًًًً (@GianNarisma) May 13, 2019
Jon and Tyrion’s regret memes
Frustrated Tyrion probably feels like he’s “a joke” to Dany after she ignored the bells and attacked, according to fans.
Many think Tyrion and Jon should have seen it coming; and for their appalled reactions to what Dany ended up doing, they were mercilessly meme’d on Twitter, too.
#GameofThrones— Timur_Syrota (@SlavicCanadian) May 13, 2019
*Bell rings, Kings landing surrenders*
Me, Jon, and Tyrion : oh thank God , that was a close one
* Daenerys goes on a murder spree of an entire city full of innocent people*
Me , Jon, and Tyrion : pic.twitter.com/Ca7NFga5jr
Fans think Jon may have realized too late the huge mistake he made in bending the knee to Dany.
People are posting about just how wild the next episode will be when Jon and Dany meet after this madness.
But fans believe if there’s anyone who can say “I told you so,” it’s Sansa, Arya, and Varys, who have warned Jon and Tyrion about the Mad Queen this whole time.
#GameOfThrones #DemThrones— Game of Thrones Memes (@IronThroneMemes) May 13, 2019
Sansa: Daenerys is crazy.
Arya: Daenerys is crazy.
Varys: Daenerys is crazy.
Jon & Tyrion: Nah, you don’t know her.
Daenerys: *kills thousands of innocent people*
Jon & Tyrion: pic.twitter.com/wb04BivZQK
#GameOfThrones— Hijra (@Hijra93) May 13, 2019
Sansa: Daenerys is crazy.
Arya: Daenerys is crazy.
Varys: Daenerys is crazy.
Jon & Tyrion: she is not. You don’t know her.
Daenerys: burns thousands of innocent people.
Jon & Tyrion: pic.twitter.com/VTsm7Qrg3t
With only one episode left in a series that has always been foreshadowed to be as mad as Dany, are we even surprised that this is how audiences and superfans have been played? We’ve been warned this whole time.
- Why Westeros needs a president, not kings and queens
- Dany vs. Cersei: How their armies stack up
- ‘Game of Thrones’ just did its women dirty
Need more news from beyond the Wall? Sign up here to receive our weekly Game of Thrones newsletter from in-house expert Michelle Jaworski.
NOW HEAR THIS:
How linguist David J. Peterson created the Dothraki and Valyrian languages for Game of Thrones
Introducing 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST, a weekly comedy show where Alli Goldberg and Jen Jamula (two actors who perform bizarre internet content on stage) have hilarious and humanizing conversations with Bronies, top Reddit mods, professional ticklers, video game archaeologists, dating app engineers, adult babies, cuddling specialists, vampires, Jedi, living dolls, and more.
Subscribe to 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST in your favorite podcast app.
Trixie Reyna-Benedicto is a lifestyle editor and writer based in the Philippines. Previously, she helmed Cosmopolitan Philippines’ website, Cosmo.ph, as its founding editor. She later served as editor-in-chief of lifestyle and entertainment portals for Manila-based media company TV5. Her work has appeared in several print and online publications in her country, and she contributes to Speed Magazine, DG Traveler, and Connected Women, among others. Visit her website, trixiereyna.com.