- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it 1 Year Ago
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Today 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. 49ers in NFL Week 6 action Saturday 3:05 PM
- Kamala Harris’ ‘lover’ says Jacob Wohl hired him off Craigslist Saturday 2:03 PM
- Korean hair salon dragged for turning straight hair into Afro-textured hair Saturday 1:00 PM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. Texans in NFL Week 6 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Browns in Week 6 NFL action Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Vikings in Week 6 Saturday 12:00 PM
President Donald Trump seems to be joining a chorus of conservatives who believe comedian Samantha Bee should be fired after she used colorful language to describe Ivanka Trump during her show on Wednesday night.
Trump tweeted there was a “total double standard” on Friday morning—presumably referring to Roseanne Barr‘s show being cancelled for her using racist language to describe a former aide to Barack Obama—and added a number of the usual insults he flings at those he disagrees with including “low ratings” and “no talent.”
“Why aren’t they firing no talent Samantha Bee for the horrible language used on her low ratings show? A total double standard but that’s O.K., we are Winning, and will be doing so for a long time to come!” the president tweeted.
Why aren’t they firing no talent Samantha Bee for the horrible language used on her low ratings show? A total double standard but that’s O.K., we are Winning, and will be doing so for a long time to come!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 1, 2018
Bee apologized for calling the president’s daughter a “feckless cunt” in reference to her posting a photo of herself hugging her child while ICE agents have been separating parents from their children.
“I would like to sincerely apologize to Ivanka Trump and to my viewers for using an expletive on my show to describe her last night. It was inappropriate and inexcusable. I crossed a line, and I deeply regret it,” the comedian wrote on Twitter.
Trump’s lashing out against Bee came just hours after White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders all but called for TBS to cancel the show, adding that the word was “vile and vicious.”
“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network,” Sanders said, according to reports.
The White House has no authority to call for someone to be fired from a television show, however the president’s tweets show they could be attempting to create public pressure to fire her.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).