- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback 1 Year Ago
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Today 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Today 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Today 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
Sally Field weighs in on the rude word Samantha Bee used to describe Ivanka Trump
Late-night show host Samantha Bee on Wednesday stirred up major controversy for choice words about first daughter and presidential adviser Ivanka Trump. But it was legendary actress Sally Field’s response that really drove the point home.
On Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Wednesday night, Bee called Trump a “feckless cunt” for posting a photo of herself hugging her child amid outcry over ICE separating parents from their children. Bee’s comment was met with full-force outrage, including from the White House, which said her words were “vile and vicious.”
Bee has since apologized in a statement. Field on Thursday tweeted her take.
“I like Samantha Bee a lot, but she is flat wrong to call Ivanka a cunt,” she wrote, adding this kicker: “Cunts are powerful, beautiful, nurturing and honest.”
I like Samantha Bee a lot, but she is flat wrong to call Ivanka a cunt.— Sally Field (@sally_field) May 31, 2018
Cunts are powerful, beautiful, nurturing and honest.
Bee’s comment came on the heels of the cancellation of Roseanne, and many conservatives were calling for Bee to face equal consequences.
“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.
Bee said her words were “inappropriate and inexcusable,” and TBS backed up her apology with a tweet Thursday.
Samantha Bee has taken the right action in apologizing for the vile and inappropriate language she used about Ivanka Trump last night. Those words should not have been aired. It was our mistake too, and we regret it.— TBS Network (@TBSNetwork) May 31, 2018
Two advertisers, Autotrader and State Farm, have said they would “suspend sponsorship” of Bee’s show, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.