- How to watch Pacquiao vs. Broner online 8 Months Ago
- What does IMO mean? Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Today 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Today 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Today 4:48 AM
- Netflix says ‘Fortnite’ is more competition than HBO Friday 8:25 PM
- This computer-generated Insta model looks staggeringly real Friday 7:15 PM
- Netflix is bringing back ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ with ‘Stranger Things’ producer Friday 6:42 PM
- Facebook is creating a meme feature to bring back the teens Friday 4:13 PM
- A hitman’s smartwatch helped send him to prison for life Friday 4:05 PM
- Privacy group files complaints against Netlifx, Spotify for GDPR violations Friday 3:02 PM
- Bikini Kill reunion show sale proves the internet is still hell for live music fans Friday 2:55 PM
- Teen’s photo of Nazi-themed school-dance invite goes viral Friday 2:31 PM
Sally Field weighs in on the rude word Samantha Bee used to describe Ivanka Trump
Late-night show host Samantha Bee on Wednesday stirred up major controversy for choice words about first daughter and presidential adviser Ivanka Trump. But it was legendary actress Sally Field’s response that really drove the point home.
On Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Wednesday night, Bee called Trump a “feckless cunt” for posting a photo of herself hugging her child amid outcry over ICE separating parents from their children. Bee’s comment was met with full-force outrage, including from the White House, which said her words were “vile and vicious.”
Bee has since apologized in a statement. Field on Thursday tweeted her take.
“I like Samantha Bee a lot, but she is flat wrong to call Ivanka a cunt,” she wrote, adding this kicker: “Cunts are powerful, beautiful, nurturing and honest.”
I like Samantha Bee a lot, but she is flat wrong to call Ivanka a cunt.
Cunts are powerful, beautiful, nurturing and honest.
— Sally Field (@sally_field) May 31, 2018
Bee’s comment came on the heels of the cancellation of Roseanne, and many conservatives were calling for Bee to face equal consequences.
“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.
Bee said her words were “inappropriate and inexcusable,” and TBS backed up her apology with a tweet Thursday.
Samantha Bee has taken the right action in apologizing for the vile and inappropriate language she used about Ivanka Trump last night. Those words should not have been aired. It was our mistake too, and we regret it.
— TBS Network (@TBSNetwork) May 31, 2018
Two advertisers, Autotrader and State Farm, have said they would “suspend sponsorship” of Bee’s show, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.