- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas
President Donald Trump had a sign tacked to the front of his podium during his unscheduled Rose Garden speech on Thursday, and it got the meme treatment on Twitter.
Trump was responding to claims that he engaged in a cover-up, doubling down the claim that the Mueller investigation found no obstruction and no collusion with the sign.
Presidential podium in Rose Garden set up for Trump remarks. pic.twitter.com/OMxOlW2D10
— Jennifer Jacobs (@JenniferJJacobs) May 22, 2019
Twitter users quickly began to treat the sign as their own personal green screen of sorts. One person even gave the internet the gift of a blank sign to play with.
in case anyone needed a version of Trump in the Rose Garden with a blank sign for creative use pic.twitter.com/MtNWb2Dfc7
— Liz Mackenzie (@LizMackenzie12) May 22, 2019
— mmmm… brisket (@LosBilbilocos) May 22, 2019
— darth™ (@darth) May 22, 2019
Stunning news from the Rose Garden today pic.twitter.com/7bFdpJdaj4
— joey alison sayers (@joeyalison) May 22, 2019
Podium set up in the Rose Garden with statistics on the Mueller investigation. pic.twitter.com/1ZcEcXACJ9
— K. Thor Jensen (@kthorjensen) May 22, 2019
Several people on Twitter “fixed” the sign with actual statistics regarding the Mueller investigation.
Since @realDonaldTrump is senile, I fixed his WH Rose Garden podium.
You're welcome. pic.twitter.com/DPImCdVYiB
— A Crafty Arab #EidMubarak (@acraftyarab) May 22, 2019
— DogsHateBoots (@DogsHateBoots) May 22, 2019
Fixed the President's Rose Garden sign for him. pic.twitter.com/faQZ4xAPhy
— Jim Himes (@jahimes) May 22, 2019
“Mueller investigation by the numbers,” Trump’s original sign read, along with some “statistics” about the investigation. Over 35 million spent, over 2,800 people were subpoenaed, and over 500 witnesses, the sign said. The investigation took 675 days, and Mueller’s team consisted of “18 angry Democrats.”
In the Rose Garden, awaiting Trump, “Mueller investigation by the numbers.” Some of the Democrats who were supposed to meet with Trump on infrastructure were already at the White House. pic.twitter.com/Wz3kKeNvso
— Jennifer Epstein (@jeneps) May 22, 2019
Trump held the speech after very briskly walking out of an infrastructure meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). The meeting lasted all of three minutes.
“We believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover-up,” Pelosi told reporters before the meeting on Thursday.
Trump went straight from the meeting to the Rose Garden to publically refute the accusation. Many dubbed it a #TrumpTantrum, a hashtag that began trending shortly after the speech. Many also thought the pre-made, printed-out sign was a good indication that Trump’s speech was not as “impromptu” as claimed.
Schumer called Trump’s exit a “pre-planned excuse” with “prepared signs that (were) printed up long before” the meeting at a press conference.
You can't have an "impromptu" Rose Garden speech with pre-printed signs. Pelosi and Schumer are right, it was a set up-Trump never intended to work on making Infrastructure better for the country. pic.twitter.com/Uqgcintm56
— Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) May 22, 2019
The WH literally printed fucking signs and planned this in advance. Democrats showed up for infrastructure and trump called the press to the rose garden to attack Pelosi. It’s called a trap. Pre-meditation is not impromptu.
— Adam Parkhomenko (@AdamParkhomenko) May 22, 2019
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming
- Memelord from Reddit’s r/The_Donald joins Trump onstage at rally
- Trump posts a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.