- Cat filter turns Pakistani politicians’ press conference into frisky business 5 Months Ago
- Couple calls for boycott of dog walker app Wag! after their dog was abducted Today 5:07 PM
- Trump gets banned from SeekingArrangement because he’s not a ‘real sugar daddy’ Today 4:17 PM
- InfoWars accidentally sent child porn to lawyers representing Sandy Hook parents Today 4:12 PM
- Sticker warns men changing diapers about ‘feminization of the American male’ Today 4:10 PM
- The genius way Genius caught Google allegedly stealing lyrics Today 3:03 PM
- This bubble tea challenge is a balancing act Today 2:15 PM
- Laura Dern gifts the internet with more ‘Big Little Lies’ memes Today 1:54 PM
- The Stonks meme is back—and it’s weirder than ever Today 1:27 PM
- Video shows officer threatening to shoot pregnant Black woman in front of her children Today 1:12 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Leila’ tells a familiar dystopian horror story Today 12:37 PM
- O.J. Simpson says in Twitter video that he never slept with Kris Jenner Today 12:06 PM
- GOP commissioner jokes on Facebook about running over Trump protesters Today 11:52 AM
- 2 trans women killed within 3 months in the same neighborhood Today 11:35 AM
- DNC tries to pander with tone-deaf Beyoncé meme, fails miserably Today 10:45 AM
Schumer, Pelosi look like America’s parents in rebuttal to Trump
There were lots of jokes.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi delivered a rebuttal to President Donald Trump‘s Oval Office address on Tuesday night, but their demeanor led to several jokes online.
Schumer and Pelosi argued that the border wall Trump wants—which is at the center the government shutdown—would be ineffective and instead urged the president to stop the shutdown and discuss the wall in the future.
“The symbol of America should be the Statue of Liberty, not a 30-foot wall,” Schumer said.
Before the two Democrats offered a rebuttal, the president argued that there was a “humanitarian and security crisis” at the country’s southern border.
However, the image of the two Democratic leaders standing next to each other lent itself to jokes from people watching.
“we’re not mad we’re just disappointed” pic.twitter.com/EcAUgm4rYX
— Liz Plank (@feministabulous) January 9, 2019
— manny aka "sandy" (@mannyfidel) January 9, 2019
— Dave Weigel (@daveweigel) January 9, 2019
Mrs. Maisel's parents are not happy. pic.twitter.com/uguaQy2Pl1
— bertolt blecht !¡!¡ (@benschwartzy) January 9, 2019
"Of COURSE your father's upset about the car, but the important thing is you're safe and nobody got hurt." pic.twitter.com/KKkd67FZTv
— #occupymarwen (@Mobute) January 9, 2019
Chuck Schumer’s forehead is the physical barrier Trump is pining for. https://t.co/KzyQI7DVna
— Colby Hall (@colbyhall) January 9, 2019
“The neighbors called. What did we say about smoking reefer in the backyard? What did we say?!” pic.twitter.com/ocdnEplBTn
— Slade (@Slade) January 9, 2019
— Angelina M (@thestoryofangie) January 9, 2019
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).