- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm 5 Months Ago
- Why everyone wants to debate AOC, and no one wants to debate Ilhan Omar 5 Months Ago
- How to watch the Trvl Channel online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Are we going to get a ‘Community’ movie on Netflix? Sunday 2:46 PM
- Social networking site Ravelry bans all posts that are supportive of Trump and his administration Sunday 2:07 PM
- YouTube is testing hiding its comments section Sunday 1:23 PM
- Think you have what it takes to be Beyoncé’s assistant for the day? Sunday 1:02 PM
- Facebook co-founder warns against Libra, the company’s new cryptocurrency Sunday 12:04 PM
- Missing YouTuber Etika’s belongings found alongside bridge Sunday 9:16 AM
- What is #sayfie and why do Floridians use it so much? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch WWE Stomping Grounds for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Trump tweets nightmarish video of himself being president ‘4EVA’ Saturday 3:15 PM
- The internet cannot believe how this zoo conducts its ‘escaped lion drill’ Saturday 1:39 PM
- Spotify wants to take back money from ‘overpaid’ songwriters, publishers Saturday 12:35 PM
- Mac from ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ finally got to play catch with Chase Utley Saturday 11:23 AM
The internet is all about Pelosi’s sarcastic clapping.
Last night, President Donald Trump delivered his State of the Union address to members of Congress. As expected, his words prompted vastly different responses from people on separate sides of the aisle.
While his supporters couldn’t get enough of Trump‘s speech, many Democrats were reserved and even frosty in response to the president’s words. But it was Nancy Pelosi’s reaction to Trump’s call for “cooperation, compromise and the common good” that stole the show, and her mocking applause quickly became a meme.
— Brian Koerber (@bkurbs) February 6, 2019
Nancy Pelosi sarcastically claps at President Trump after he calls for Americans to “reject the politics of revenge, resistance, and retribution, and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise, and the common good." #SOTU pic.twitter.com/gGDTXXPNHe
— Vox (@voxdotcom) February 6, 2019
The meme became an instant viral hit, spreading through the internet like wildfire. “Nancy Pelosi,” @PoliticusSarah captioned the photo, “A montage of polite disdain with a side of shade.”
Nancy Pelosi, a montage of polite disdain with a side of shade:
(Reuters and pool via Reuters) pic.twitter.com/jPDQPrySYU
— Sarah Reese Jones (@PoliticusSarah) February 6, 2019
— Mohammed Hosain (@MohammedHosain) February 6, 2019
Who knew clapping could convey rage, disdain and threats of revenge… pic.twitter.com/u9c4lXM4ri
— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) February 6, 2019
Nancy Pelosi performed admirably, but the best sarcastic clap still belongs to Steve McQueen pic.twitter.com/CGd1rvHnJY
— Eric Walkuski (@ericwalkuski) February 6, 2019
People couldn’t get enough of Pelosi‘s subtle shade.
One user even compared her to Lucille Bluth, the stern matriarch of the Bluth family in Arrested Development. Another compared Pelosi’s disinterested clapping to that of Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
— Patti LaBelle’s Background Singer (@spicykezzinnugg) February 6, 2019
Same energy pic.twitter.com/6WLOGtzF6v
— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) February 6, 2019
Other people saw reflections of their own lives in the speaker’s carefully polite applause. “When I tell my wife I changed a diaper,” @Mikel_Jollet said.
When I tell my wife I changed a diaper. pic.twitter.com/N2ncXAuUb2
— Mikel Jollett (@Mikel_Jollett) February 6, 2019
Thank u, next pic.twitter.com/opvIcdLnW6
— Garance Franke-Ruta (@thegarance) February 6, 2019
— Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) February 6, 2019
— Desus Nice (@desusnice) February 6, 2019
Media Matters’ Parker Molloy was kind enough to provide a sarcastic-clap Pelosi with a transparent background, to assist her fellow Twitter users in their quest to meme it. People were quick to utilize the doctored image.
— Schooley (@Rschooley) February 6, 2019
— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) February 6, 2019
Pelosi’s perfect cocktail of respect and utter disdain won the evening, providing everyone with the perfect meme template to remember the night.
It may be the greatest takeaway from the 2019 State of the Union.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.