- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
There is one confirmed casualty, and reports of over 100 injured.
A NJ Transit train has crashed into a station in Hoboken, NJ, and there are reports that as many as 100 people have been injured. One person has been confirmed dead.
Hoboken Terminal: After earlier incident at NJT’s Hoboken Station, no service into/out of PATH’s Hoboken Station. JSQ-33 & NWK-WTC running.
— PATH Train (@PATHTrain) September 29, 2016
While it’s unclear what caused the crash, witnesses say that the train felt like it was going too fast. “It simply did not stop,” WFAN anchor John Minko told local radio station 1010 WINS. “It went right through the barriers and into the reception area.”
The station has been evacuated due to considerable structural damage. Witness Alyson Hudson told the New York Daily News, “You could see the whole ceiling, it looks like it took the whole support beams down, the ceiling was coming down around it.”
Hoboken is about seven miles outside of New York City, and a major transit hub. Sources tell NBC that the crash was an accident, not an intentional act.
Update 1:04pm CT Sept. 29: The number of fatalities has been revised as per a press conference. Originally, it was believed that three people were dead following the crash. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has confirmed that one person was killed and 108 were injured.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'