- How to stream Chiefs vs. Broncos on Thursday Night Football 3 Years Ago
- Feds take down dark web’s largest known child porn site 3 Years Ago
- Ben Shapiro says his ‘man body’ is just as controlled as women’s Today 5:06 PM
- Genius turns Kylie Jenner’s ‘rise and shine’ meme into alarm ringtone Today 4:14 PM
- In ‘Tell Me Who I Am,’ twin brothers grapple with hidden trauma Today 4:13 PM
- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ Today 3:07 PM
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Today 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Today 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Today 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Today 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Today 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Today 11:14 AM
- Biden yelling at Warren becomes relatable workplace meme Today 10:33 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard was conservatives’ favorite debater Today 10:07 AM
They call him the “million dollar dissident.”
Ahmed Mansoor has been targeted for a decade. As a human rights activist in the United Arab Emirates, he has suffered theft, assault, prison, and repression. He’s also a regular target of state-sponsored hacking.
Mansoor recently made headlines after he helped researchers uncover the most sophisticated spyware ever discovered. Dubbed Pegasus by its creator, an Israeli firm called NSO Group, the suite of malware revealed flaws in Apple iOS that recently forced the company to issue a critical update to its hundreds of millions of users.
In this premiere episode of the Layer 8 Podcast, Mansoor talks about his life, his work, and why he continues on despite the government’s eyes trained on his every move in both cyberspace and the street.
- The ‘Million Dollar Dissident’ Is a Magnet for Government Spyware (Motherboard • August 2016)
Sophisticated, persistent mobile attack against high-value targets on iOS (Lookout • August 2016)
- Everything We Know About NSO Group: The Professional Spies Who Hacked iPhones With A Single Text (Forbes • August 2016)
- The Million Dollar Dissident: NSO Group’s iPhone Zero-Days used against a UAE Human Rights Defender (Citizen Lab • August 2016)
- Chris Zabriskie – Wonder Cycle (CC BY 4.0)
- Chris Zabriskie – I Am a Man Who Will Fight for Your Honor (CC BY 4.0)
- Candlegravity – Tomie’s Bubbles (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)
Contact the author: Patrick Howell O’Neill, [email protected]
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.