- Instagram has mixed feelings about Mindy Kaling supporting Aziz Ansari Saturday 5:02 PM
- Donald Trump keeps pushing his unsubstantiated voter fraud claims Saturday 4:09 PM
- Report: YouTube will no longer run ads on anti-vax channels Saturday 2:54 PM
- Microsoft employees want to cancel a $479 million contract with the U.S. military Saturday 1:14 PM
- Queso recipe gets launched to space Saturday 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Saturday 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Saturday 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
Meet Ahmed Mansoor, the world’s most spied-on man: Layer 8 Podcast
You may have recently updated your iPhone to patch security flaws. You can thank Ahmed Mansoor for that.
They call him the “million dollar dissident.”
Ahmed Mansoor has been targeted for a decade. As a human rights activist in the United Arab Emirates, he has suffered theft, assault, prison, and repression. He’s also a regular target of state-sponsored hacking.
Mansoor recently made headlines after he helped researchers uncover the most sophisticated spyware ever discovered. Dubbed Pegasus by its creator, an Israeli firm called NSO Group, the suite of malware revealed flaws in Apple iOS that recently forced the company to issue a critical update to its hundreds of millions of users.
In this premiere episode of the Layer 8 Podcast, Mansoor talks about his life, his work, and why he continues on despite the government’s eyes trained on his every move in both cyberspace and the street.
- The ‘Million Dollar Dissident’ Is a Magnet for Government Spyware (Motherboard • August 2016)
Sophisticated, persistent mobile attack against high-value targets on iOS (Lookout • August 2016)
- Everything We Know About NSO Group: The Professional Spies Who Hacked iPhones With A Single Text (Forbes • August 2016)
- The Million Dollar Dissident: NSO Group’s iPhone Zero-Days used against a UAE Human Rights Defender (Citizen Lab • August 2016)
- Chris Zabriskie – Wonder Cycle (CC BY 4.0)
- Chris Zabriskie – I Am a Man Who Will Fight for Your Honor (CC BY 4.0)
- Candlegravity – Tomie’s Bubbles (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)
Contact the author: Patrick Howell O’Neill, [email protected]
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.