- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
Twitter users are taking Mean Girls’ iconic ‘you can’t sit with us’ line to another level.
In the last few weeks, a clipart photo of what appears to be a high school cafeteria has been making its way around the Twitter-sphere. Then, depending on the fandom, each table is designated to a specific song of the artist, or movie of the actor, or YouTuber from the platform.
And then the question to end all questions is asked, “where y’all sitting?”
What is the ‘Where Y’all Sitting’ meme?
The clip art used in the memes is sourced to Vector Toons. It’s unclear exactly how the meme started, but Know Your Meme traced the origins of it to a Justin Bieber version in late July. From there, the meme took off on Stan Twitter.
For the Taylor Swift fandom, the question was taken gracefully.
“okay swiftie cafeteria, where are y’all situated?” asked Twitter user @repudrama.
“Imma be at table 4 and table 9 personally,” the same user responded. In the meme, table 4 shows the songs “Last Kiss,” “I Almost Do,” “Dancing With Our Hands Tied,” while table 9 has “All Too Well,” “Dear John,” and “Cold As You.”
Other Swifties chimed in with the tables they’d sit at.
Table 3 with jack antonoff obviously— Cass (a new romantic) (@getawaycass) August 4, 2019
The YouTube fandom ran into some disagreements.
“Lunch table youtube edition! who are you sitting with?” asked user @cristinescharm about a version of the meme that showed different YouTube stars.
“Phil’s [Lester] too unproblematic to be sitting with Antonio [Garza] and Tati [Westbrook],” said @puppybearhowell.
“DID YALL REALLY HAVE TO PUT QUEEN JOANA WITH JEFFREE,” tweeted @tacosandvenice about the table that showed Joana Ceddia, Andrea Russett, and Jeffree Star.
DID YALL REALLY HAVE TO PUT QUEEN JOANA WITH JEFFREE— nina 35 (@tacosandvenice) August 3, 2019
“Oh god none of them, there’s AT LEAST one person I hate at each table I cannot stand to be with any of them,” wrote user @teejaygay.
oh god none of them, theres AT LEAST one person i hate at each table i cannot stand to be with any of them— bee ✬ (@teejaygay) August 4, 2019
Variations of the ‘Where Y’all Sitting’ meme
There were plenty of other variations of the lunch table meme, from Film Twitter to video games.
In mid-August, the meme expanded beyond stan accounts. Everyone started making ‘where y’all sitting’ memes, to the point where some publications called for the meme’s demise.
Rather than stans endlessly dragging each other over songs, videos, and movies, this meme is a much more diplomatic way to figure out who are the coolest—and worst—people you’ll ever meet.
- What is White Claw—and why is the beverage inspiring memes?
- Drake fans are emotional after release of ‘Care Package’ album
- The top fandoms of 2018
Editor’s note: This article was updated for relevance.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.