- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Teen confesses to killing her best friend on video to get $9 million from a stranger online Wednesday 1:28 PM
- Democrats vote to block transgender troop ban Wednesday 12:17 PM
This meme is back and stronger than ever.
The next up-and-coming meme is, in fact, pretty old.
The “unsettled Tom” meme template initially cropped up in 2012, when it was still part of an online comic, according to KnowYourMeme. The template is simple. A phrase at the top gently sets the tone, only to undergo a complete 180 with a shocking twist. At the bottom, an image of Tom and Jerry‘s Tom the cat perfectly captures our feelings with his highly disturbed expression.
The template has been on the rise for weeks, but only recently has it has blown up online. Reddit, of course, began the craze when user inactive_meme shared it this month. In no time, a trend was born.
Most of the memes rely on shock value when the big reveal exposes how inappropriate the initial—seemingly benign—action was.
Someone even created a subreddit just for the meme, r/UnsettledTom six days ago. There, redditors have been sharing different versions of the meme nonstop.
The meme has lots of universal potential. It could be a political template or a way to mock the next celebrity to accidentally reveal their racist or sexist beliefs. It will surely die out in time—as all memes do—but for now, Unsettled Tom is going strong.
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme
H/T Trend Prediction
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.