- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
This week’s particularly biting diatribes by President Donald Trump about the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has rallied the senator’s eldest daughter, Meghan McCain, to her father’s defense. Unfortunately for The View co-host, fielding the president’s barrage of tweets and comments has rendered her response almost formulaic at this point, and the internet was quick to notice. There’s now a meme of McCain saying “my father.”
Meghan McCain in a nutshell. pic.twitter.com/8rgLykOJxO— Max Tonight (@DanMoffTarkin) March 21, 2019
On Wednesday, Trump complained he wasn’t properly thanked for approving the late senator’s funeral before attacking his voting record and calling him “not my kind of guy” at a visit to an Ohio tank factory. It’s only the latest in a rivalry that spans back to 2015, when then-candidate Trump questioned the Vietnam War veteran’s status as a war hero since he’d been captured.
Constantly defending her father after Trump’s comments the past four years has left the young McCain “emotionally exhausted,” she said on The View. But when her references to the late senator are edited together into a seemingly never-ending loop, it becomes the epitome of an entitled, rich white woman, particularly one who’s quick to bring up her parent’s lineage to impress others. It’s the embodiment of the character Gretchen Weiners from Mean Girls, as one of the meme’s early viral posts points out.
Me: Who invented the toaster strudel?— caleb stark (@calebstark) March 18, 2019
Gretchen Wieners: pic.twitter.com/86EplARzvM
Meghan McCain describing how she's accomplished anything in her life: pic.twitter.com/mgOQf1IZBi— Queen L'Antifa (@WStuartross) March 21, 2019
Meghan McCain on her way to start a sentence with “My father” pic.twitter.com/gXjkGMpsL0— jon (@prasejeebus) March 21, 2019
The loop in record time has been edited into this year’s newest bop.
Twitter users are finding other oddly specific circumstances in which the looped clip could apply, such as the plot for Pixar’s Finding Nemo.
"Who are you trying to find?"— Generic Internet Gay (@genericgaystuff) March 20, 2019
New therapist: What brings you here?— Ira Madison III (@ira) March 21, 2019
Hopefully this will teach The View co-host to mix up her approach the next time she’s baited by Trump’s bizarre one-sided fight with the late senator.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.