- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale 8 Months Ago
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations 8 Months Ago
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) 8 Months Ago
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Today 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Today 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Today 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Today 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Today 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Today 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Today 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Today 11:04 AM
- Senator proposes Do Not Track bill to allow consumers to opt out of data gathering Today 10:54 AM
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul Today 10:36 AM
- Nearly half of Juul’s Twitter followers can’t legally buy the product, study says Today 10:26 AM
- New Facebook Messenger scam tricks people into thinking they donated to ISIS Today 10:26 AM
TikTok users can’t get enough of these ‘Tom & Jerry’ strut memes
Prancing around like Jerry’s cousin is actually hilarious.
TikTok users are flocking to the social app to post clips of the latest viral craze: strutting to…the Tom & Jerry instrumental theme song…?
If you’re not already aware, TikTok is a global video platform that merged with musical.ly earlier this year. It’s where users share short musical clips akin to that of Vine. It’s already become a popular platform for humorous video challenges, such as the “good girls, bad guys” challenge.
The Tom & Jerry video’s description states that this is the “latest movement” in Vietnamese, thanks to Google Translate. But why are TikTok denizens suddenly interested in this bizarre “dance” move? Our closest guess, thanks to one commenter’s direction, is that scores of Tom & Jerry fans saw episode 57 of the classic cartoon, entitled “Jerry’s Cousin,” which features a gang of some pretty tough feline customers who Tom enlists for help as a response to the titular mouse cousin of little Jerry, who packs a wallop.
Jerry’s cousin Muscles happens to have super strength, and as such he’s acting as a bodyguard for little Jerry, keeping all the cats in the neighborhood who would bother him away. Tom enlists a few tough cats from a company named Dirty Work, Inc. and it looks like they’re going to show Muscles a thing or two, but, well…they fail. Before being utterly defeated, the cats move in a peculiar fashion, much like the people in the clips, so the likelihood of this being the original source for the “dance” is pretty high.
In any case, it’s amusing trying to watch people in real life move like these “tough cats” do.
Correction: While particularly popular in China, the app TikTok is available globally, and the company’s headquarters are in Los Angeles.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.