- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? 10 Months Ago
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
TikTok users can’t get enough of these ‘Tom & Jerry’ strut memes
Prancing around like Jerry’s cousin is actually hilarious.
TikTok users are flocking to the social app to post clips of the latest viral craze: strutting to…the Tom & Jerry instrumental theme song…?
If you’re not already aware, TikTok is a global video platform that merged with musical.ly earlier this year. It’s where users share short musical clips akin to that of Vine. It’s already become a popular platform for humorous video challenges, such as the “good girls, bad guys” challenge.
The Tom & Jerry video’s description states that this is the “latest movement” in Vietnamese, thanks to Google Translate. But why are TikTok denizens suddenly interested in this bizarre “dance” move? Our closest guess, thanks to one commenter’s direction, is that scores of Tom & Jerry fans saw episode 57 of the classic cartoon, entitled “Jerry’s Cousin,” which features a gang of some pretty tough feline customers who Tom enlists for help as a response to the titular mouse cousin of little Jerry, who packs a wallop.
Jerry’s cousin Muscles happens to have super strength, and as such he’s acting as a bodyguard for little Jerry, keeping all the cats in the neighborhood who would bother him away. Tom enlists a few tough cats from a company named Dirty Work, Inc. and it looks like they’re going to show Muscles a thing or two, but, well…they fail. Before being utterly defeated, the cats move in a peculiar fashion, much like the people in the clips, so the likelihood of this being the original source for the “dance” is pretty high.
In any case, it’s amusing trying to watch people in real life move like these “tough cats” do.
Correction: While particularly popular in China, the app TikTok is available globally, and the company’s headquarters are in Los Angeles.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.