- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
It’s always a challenge for brands to keep up with the youths without coming off like that “how do you do, fellow kids?” meme from 30 Rock. At least, that’s the only way to explain this TikTok misfire—pun fully intended—from the New York Jets.
On Monday, the official TikTok account for the football team uploaded a clip of a teen (or young woman) dancing to Shake Dat by Loui (feat. Lil Jay). As she bends down to do a twerk, a football shoots out of her butt, which is caught by a quarterback off-frame.
“Whoever runs the Jet’s official Tik Tok account is about to be promoted or fired,” wrote Twitter user @isabella_nowak, who shared the clip shortly after it was uploaded.
Whoever runs the Jet’s official Tik Tok account is about to be promoted or fired pic.twitter.com/SDdTMAEmwi— bellz (@isabella_nowak) January 13, 2020
The TikTok was not long in this world, which apparently wasn’t ready for maybe-underage girls farting (pooping?) footballs out of their behinds. The clip was removed from the team’s account within the hour.
Unfortunately for the New York Jets, trying to take something off of the internet is like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool. The inexplicable clip has taken on a new life on Twitter as people share it and try to wrap their minds around the whole thing.
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL TIKTOK OF THE NY JETS THIS IS A $3.2 BILLION FOOTBALL TEAM I- pic.twitter.com/cOE6GVyaiE— Rush 😳 (@Crayola_papi) January 13, 2020
The Jets have an, uh, interesting TikTok feed pic.twitter.com/GlnVq5Nkmo— WTP Sports + (@WTPsports) January 14, 2020
The Jets have discovered TikTok and uhhhh pic.twitter.com/ePV0K8tEfS— Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) January 13, 2020
The Jets getting a lot of flak for this being inappropriate.— Vincenzo Landino (@vincenzolandino) January 15, 2020
1/ It seems on brand for the TikTok platform
2/ If anyone is offended by it, I’m hoping it’s because of that throwing motion on the left. The snap was solid. #smsportspic.twitter.com/sMhGagiCTU
Yah need to stop fucking with tiktok & stop making me say “it’s okay I’m a jets fan” & start practicing. https://t.co/gM6yl97G1S— Shwayze (@jurel_velardo) January 15, 2020
Given that the New York Jets went 7-9 in 2019, narrowly missing the playoffs (and making it nearly a decade since the team has survived until postseason), this is certainly one way of getting people talking. Maybe they should double down on the tactic. But next time, make sure everyone knows the model is over the age of 18.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.