- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
- Police officer suspended after video of a handcuffed Delonte West surfaces Wednesday 11:33 AM
- ‘Girls don’t want a boyfriend’ meme leaves boyfriends in 2019 Wednesday 11:21 AM
- Are these tweets about ‘The Bachelor’ or Trump’s impeachment? Wednesday 10:45 AM
Billionaire Kylie Jenner is in hot water after fans reacted negatively to the Hulu-themed birthday party she threw for her best friend Stassie Karanikolaou this weekend. Commenters online were not amused with Jenner’s theme choice of The Handmaid’s Tale for her friend’s 22nd.
With costumes, decor, and even hired cosplayers inspired by Hulu’s dystopian original series, the party seemed to be an elaborate affair. Many online are calling her theme tone-deaf and tasteless because the popular series, based on a novel by Margaret Atwood, depicts a dystopian society where fertile women are captured, stripped of their rights, treated as property, and forced into childbirth for the wealthy and elite. So yeah, maybe not the best backdrop for your friend’s party during a time when women’s real-life reproductive rights are in jeopardy.
It’s 2019 and Kylie Jenner is hosting a “Handmaid’s Tale” themed birthday party...SIS... pic.twitter.com/hNUTDDyTp4— cayley (@cayley_plotkin) June 9, 2019
Kylie Jenner throwing her friend a Handmaid’s Tale themed birthday party complete with robes, Gilead flags, “Praised be” vodka and “Under his eye” tequila is so tone deaf, at any time, but especially when women’s rights and autonomy are particularly under attack. Disheartening.— Ana María (@anamgom) June 9, 2019
Can someone please reassure me that "Kylie Jenner's Handmaid's Tale–Themed Party" is a phrase I hallucinated on this festering grease trap of a hellsite— andi zeisler (@andizeisler) June 10, 2019
Kylie Jenner is having a party themed after the Handmaid’s Tale.....so.....who’s gonna tell her that her party is literally celebrating female enslavement for their biological reproduction??— mirandaaithi (@mirandaaithi) June 9, 2019
WHO IS GOING TO TELL HER
The Handmaid’s Tale premiered its first season in April 2017 and stars Elizabeth Moss.
Jenner is a well-documented fan of The Handmaid’s Tale. But fan outrage is not surprising given the fact that the show’s iconography has become a constant sight at protests. Individuals donning red robes and white bonnets have become common at events where women’s sexual autonomy has been put into question such as the hearing of Brett Kavanaugh concerning his Supreme Court nomination. Based on a general online consensus, the makeup mogul seems to have entirely missed the mark in this instance.
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner’s orange and purple Met Gala gowns look awfully familiar
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian
H/T Teen Vogue
Ignacio Martinez is a reporter specializing in online gaming and political communities. His work has previously appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM. He is based in Austin, Texas, and you can follow him on Twitter at @NacioMartinez.