- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm 2 Weeks Ago
- Why everyone wants to debate AOC, and no one wants to debate Ilhan Omar 2 Weeks Ago
- How to watch the Trvl Channel online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Are we going to get a ‘Community’ movie on Netflix? Sunday 2:46 PM
- Social networking site Ravelry bans all posts that are supportive of Trump and his administration Sunday 2:07 PM
- YouTube is testing hiding its comments section Sunday 1:23 PM
- Think you have what it takes to be Beyoncé’s assistant for the day? Sunday 1:02 PM
- Facebook co-founder warns against Libra, the company’s new cryptocurrency Sunday 12:04 PM
- Missing YouTuber Etika’s belongings found alongside bridge Sunday 9:16 AM
- What is #sayfie and why do Floridians use it so much? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch WWE Stomping Grounds for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Trump tweets nightmarish video of himself being president ‘4EVA’ Saturday 3:15 PM
- The internet cannot believe how this zoo conducts its ‘escaped lion drill’ Saturday 1:39 PM
- Spotify wants to take back money from ‘overpaid’ songwriters, publishers Saturday 12:35 PM
- Mac from ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ finally got to play catch with Chase Utley Saturday 11:23 AM
Kylie Jenner’s ‘Handmaid’s Tale’-themed party is not going over well
Billionaire Kylie Jenner is in hot water after fans reacted negatively to the Hulu-themed birthday party she threw for her best friend Stassie Karanikolaou this weekend. Commenters online were not amused with Jenner’s theme choice of The Handmaid’s Tale for her friend’s 22nd.
With costumes, decor, and even hired cosplayers inspired by Hulu’s dystopian original series, the party seemed to be an elaborate affair. Many online are calling her theme tone-deaf and tasteless because the popular series, based on a novel by Margaret Atwood, depicts a dystopian society where fertile women are captured, stripped of their rights, treated as property, and forced into childbirth for the wealthy and elite. So yeah, maybe not the best backdrop for your friend’s party during a time when women’s real-life reproductive rights are in jeopardy.
It’s 2019 and Kylie Jenner is hosting a “Handmaid’s Tale” themed birthday party…SIS… pic.twitter.com/hNUTDDyTp4
— cayley (@cayley_plotkin) June 9, 2019
Kylie Jenner throwing her friend a Handmaid’s Tale themed birthday party complete with robes, Gilead flags, “Praised be” vodka and “Under his eye” tequila is so tone deaf, at any time, but especially when women’s rights and autonomy are particularly under attack. Disheartening.
— Ana María (@anamgom) June 9, 2019
Can someone please reassure me that "Kylie Jenner's Handmaid's Tale–Themed Party" is a phrase I hallucinated on this festering grease trap of a hellsite
— andi zeisler (@andizeisler) June 10, 2019
Kylie Jenner is having a party themed after the Handmaid’s Tale…..so…..who’s gonna tell her that her party is literally celebrating female enslavement for their biological reproduction??
WHO IS GOING TO TELL HER
— mirandaaithi (@mirandaaithi) June 9, 2019
The Handmaid’s Tale premiered its first season in April 2017 and stars Elizabeth Moss.
Jenner is a well-documented fan of The Handmaid’s Tale. But fan outrage is not surprising given the fact that the show’s iconography has become a constant sight at protests. Individuals donning red robes and white bonnets have become common at events where women’s sexual autonomy has been put into question such as the hearing of Brett Kavanaugh concerning his Supreme Court nomination. Based on a general online consensus, the makeup mogul seems to have entirely missed the mark in this instance.
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner’s orange and purple Met Gala gowns look awfully familiar
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian
H/T Teen Vogue
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.