- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law 2 Weeks Ago
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
Kylie Jenner’s ‘Handmaid’s Tale’-themed party is not going over well
Billionaire Kylie Jenner is in hot water after fans reacted negatively to the Hulu-themed birthday party she threw for her best friend Stassie Karanikolaou this weekend. Commenters online were not amused with Jenner’s theme choice of The Handmaid’s Tale for her friend’s 22nd.
With costumes, decor, and even hired cosplayers inspired by Hulu’s dystopian original series, the party seemed to be an elaborate affair. Many online are calling her theme tone-deaf and tasteless because the popular series, based on a novel by Margaret Atwood, depicts a dystopian society where fertile women are captured, stripped of their rights, treated as property, and forced into childbirth for the wealthy and elite. So yeah, maybe not the best backdrop for your friend’s party during a time when women’s real-life reproductive rights are in jeopardy.
It’s 2019 and Kylie Jenner is hosting a “Handmaid’s Tale” themed birthday party…SIS… pic.twitter.com/hNUTDDyTp4
— cayley (@cayley_plotkin) June 9, 2019
Kylie Jenner throwing her friend a Handmaid’s Tale themed birthday party complete with robes, Gilead flags, “Praised be” vodka and “Under his eye” tequila is so tone deaf, at any time, but especially when women’s rights and autonomy are particularly under attack. Disheartening.
— Ana María (@anamgom) June 9, 2019
Can someone please reassure me that "Kylie Jenner's Handmaid's Tale–Themed Party" is a phrase I hallucinated on this festering grease trap of a hellsite
— andi zeisler (@andizeisler) June 10, 2019
Kylie Jenner is having a party themed after the Handmaid’s Tale…..so…..who’s gonna tell her that her party is literally celebrating female enslavement for their biological reproduction??
WHO IS GOING TO TELL HER
— mirandaaithi (@mirandaaithi) June 9, 2019
The Handmaid’s Tale premiered its first season in April 2017 and stars Elizabeth Moss.
Jenner is a well-documented fan of The Handmaid’s Tale. But fan outrage is not surprising given the fact that the show’s iconography has become a constant sight at protests. Individuals donning red robes and white bonnets have become common at events where women’s sexual autonomy has been put into question such as the hearing of Brett Kavanaugh concerning his Supreme Court nomination. Based on a general online consensus, the makeup mogul seems to have entirely missed the mark in this instance.
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner’s orange and purple Met Gala gowns look awfully familiar
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian
H/T Teen Vogue
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.