- Kyrsten Sinema may face a censure vote—and net neutrality is a big reason why 3 Months Ago
- Recreate a Hogwarts holiday with the LEGO ‘Harry Potter’ Advent calendar 3 Months Ago
- How to stream Titans vs. Jaguars on Thursday Night Football 3 Months Ago
- 24 Halloween costumes so weird all you can do is laugh 3 Months Ago
- Night Monkey finally gets the trailer he deserves 3 Months Ago
- All the TV series and films coming to AppleTV+ 3 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ Today 7:00 AM
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart Today 6:30 AM
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
Keanu Reeves is an American hero.
He’s played so many iconic roles it’s nearly impossible to keep track. He’s basically the nicest guy alive. Perhaps most importantly, his existence has continually provided some of the best memes and jokes on the internet.
Like, remember that time he was really, really sad?
keanu reeves having a toy of himself - sad keanu pic.twitter.com/eTPqVgQKgy— KEANU REEVES DOING THINGS (@likeakeanu) June 27, 2018
Or more recently, when he just… walked in slow motion?
everybody wants to rule the world - tears for fears pic.twitter.com/y62b2LNd5Z— keanu reeves walking to music (@keanuwtm) May 31, 2019
We can’t forget about the Bill and Ted Keanu, whose mind has been totally blown.
It’s like every single time Reeves does anything, anything at all, the internet is gifted with a new treasure.
Now, a new Keanu Reeves-centric trend has begun circling Twitter: rhyming his name with stuff.
This may not sound funny, but just hear me out–it is.
keanu reeves as a gardener: keanu leaves— ayad (@imfrenchfried) June 6, 2019
Many of us have horrible surnames that probably couldn’t keep this kind of joke running for very long. Yet, Reeves has again come through for us, with an exceptionally rhymable last name. It seems like the possibilities are endless.
Keanu Reeves as a butler: Keanu Jeeves https://t.co/qQjEqmhnTt— J.R. Solano Presents: Zori Bliss & The Mandalorian (@DoctorRagnarok) June 6, 2019
Keanu got extensions:— ANW nyquil jornan concongo balls slam dump (@Atom_Kane_) June 8, 2019
Keanu Weaves https://t.co/p8VSX3RSBP
Keanu Reeves has told you a lie: Keanu Deceives— ᴊᴀᴍᴇs ʀᴜssᴇʟʟ (@JamesRussell88) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reaves as a circus performer: Keanu Trapeze https://t.co/crvGxBGBtq— Very Expensive To Date Me (@ShantaFabulous) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reeves as a dog who helps the little league team win the game: Keanu Retrieves https://t.co/nWNEMOMIhs— Austin Hayden (@austin_hayden) June 7, 2019
Keanu Reeves rewatches Matrix Revolutions and regrets his role in making it: Keanu Grieves https://t.co/3DouJBWDxT— PoliMath (@politicalmath) June 7, 2019
Keanu Reeves as a southern Baptist preacher: Keanu Believes. https://t.co/88U2jkIjfG— Matthew Kadish (@MatthewKadish) June 6, 2019
Keanu gets his arms tattooed. Keanu Sleeves. https://t.co/pxcQL1qr6V— Helluva Bottom Carter (@nicju) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reeves gives food to the homeless: Keanu Feeds https://t.co/Vri1lffWBy— June 6th ♊️ (@jaela_stayton) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reeves elegantly hanging over a roof: Keanu Eaves https://t.co/B5RsZpwymd— Jen Richards (@SmartAssJen) June 8, 2019
When Keanu does Yoga: Keanu Breathes https://t.co/27mUB7AhHW— ChadLindberg (@ChadLindberg) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reeves eating gas station sushi: Keanu Heaves— Sarah Beattie (@nachosarah) June 8, 2019
Keanu leaves, wearing Keanu sleeves with flowers that make Keanu sneeze. pic.twitter.com/l0JZLbZxlV— Bilal Rana (@Bilal6655) June 8, 2019
Keanu raids villages along the coast. Keanu Reaves. https://t.co/SwveHXyBrI— southpaw (@nycsouthpaw) June 8, 2019
keanu reeves as an asthmatic: keanu wheeze https://t.co/BIfP3jCwEQ— young william eyelash (@ohjasminee) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reeves sifting through all of the knowledge in the world: Keanu Sieves https://t.co/GFgZoaNyps— Leila Brillson, First of Her Name (@leilaclaire) June 8, 2019
Keanu Reeves putting a heist together: Keanu Thieves https://t.co/T3KnNIVap3— Jared Rosen (@notquitefrodo) June 8, 2019
The best thing about these new Keanu Reeves jokes is that the same words can be used over and over again in new ways. For example, “Keanu Leaves” alone brings up endless possibilities: Is he a gardener? Fleeing a party? Casually removing himself from the scene of a crime?
A perhaps an even more pressing question is brought up by this new trend.
“How did we call this meme ‘Sad Keanu,’ and not ‘Keanu Grieves!?'”
how did we call this meme, “Sad Keanu,” and not “Keanu Grieves”!? pic.twitter.com/FCIuWba2Vs— built by Catholic guilt (@focusgrouped) May 24, 2019
Surely, Keanu agrees.
- People on Twitter really want Keanu Reeves to find love
- The internet can’t get over Keanu Reeves as John Wick on a horse
- It is terrifying how much Adam Driver looks like Keanu Reeves
- Keanu Reeves walking in slow motion is a great meme
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.