- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ 8 Months Ago
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? 8 Months Ago
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments 8 Months Ago
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
Keanu Reeves is a man on fire.
Reeves recently starred in the third installment of the John Wick franchise and appeared in hit Netflix rom-com Always Be My Maybe in addition to being acknowledged as one of the internet’s collective heartthrobs. Reeves has also displayed his chops as possibly an amateur philosopher. One place fans really didn’t expect Keanu to show up, however, was Microsoft’s E3 conference.
To promote CD Projekt Red’s upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077, Reeves took the stage Sunday much to the delight of the entire E3 crowd. Although he was clearly reading copy from a teleprompter, Reeves’s natural charisma and the fact that he legitimately seemed to be having fun onstage completely won the crowd over. That performance, and the news that followed inspired instant memes.
“You’re breathtaking!” shouted an audience member at him. Reeves immediately returned the compliment, providing what will surely be one of E3 2019’s most endearing moments.
After Reeves’ time onstage at E3, people online could not contain their joy at his appearance during the annual game conference and it spouted positive and playful memes.
keanu has become the ultimate marketing tool. every misstep, every transgression overshadowed by a single application of keanu. we're five years short of an all keanu e3, with each publisher rapidly accumulating clones in a horrific and unwinnable keanu arms race— moth dad ➡️ gone hiking (@innesmck) June 9, 2019
mom said it's my turn on the xbox pic.twitter.com/NPuRafpPJ5— Megan Farokhmanesh @ E3 (@Megan_Nicolett) June 9, 2019
Keanu Reeves Keanu Reeves— tessa (@sherlockify) June 10, 2019
in real life in movies pic.twitter.com/vlDdPi2rem
Reeves’ appearance was not just a wise publicity move. During the release date reveal trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, we learned that Reeves would have a starring role in the game. Memes of this followed as well.
Cyberpunk 2077 is out April 16, 2020, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
- Keanu Reeves’ name sends Twitter into a rhyming frenzy
- Keanu Reeves walking in slow motion is a great meme
- People on Twitter really want Keanu Reeves to find love (updated)
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a reporter specializing in online gaming and political communities. His work has previously appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM. He is based in Austin, Texas, and you can follow him on Twitter at @NacioMartinez.