- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
Keanu Reeves surprises E3 with meme-worthy cameo—and we can barely handle it
It was ‘breathtaking.’
Keanu Reeves is a man on fire.
Reeves recently starred in the third installment of the John Wick franchise and appeared in hit Netflix rom-com Always Be My Maybe in addition to being acknowledged as one of the internet’s collective heartthrobs. Reeves has also displayed his chops as possibly an amateur philosopher. One place fans really didn’t expect Keanu to show up, however, was Microsoft’s E3 conference.
To promote CD Projekt Red’s upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077, Reeves took the stage Sunday much to the delight of the entire E3 crowd. Although he was clearly reading copy from a teleprompter, Reeves’s natural charisma and the fact that he legitimately seemed to be having fun onstage completely won the crowd over. That performance, and the news that followed inspired instant memes.
“You’re breathtaking!” shouted an audience member at him. Reeves immediately returned the compliment, providing what will surely be one of E3 2019’s most endearing moments.
— Nibel (@Nibellion) June 9, 2019
— Wario64 (@Wario64) June 10, 2019
After Reeves’ time onstage at E3, people online could not contain their joy at his appearance during the annual game conference and it spouted positive and playful memes.
— Grubb (@JeffGrubb) June 9, 2019
keanu has become the ultimate marketing tool. every misstep, every transgression overshadowed by a single application of keanu. we're five years short of an all keanu e3, with each publisher rapidly accumulating clones in a horrific and unwinnable keanu arms race
— moth dad ➡️ gone hiking (@innesmck) June 9, 2019
mom said it's my turn on the xbox pic.twitter.com/NPuRafpPJ5
— Megan Farokhmanesh @ E3 (@Megan_Nicolett) June 9, 2019
Keanu Reeves Keanu Reeves
in real life in movies pic.twitter.com/vlDdPi2rem
— tessa (@sherlockify) June 10, 2019
Reeves’ appearance was not just a wise publicity move. During the release date reveal trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, we learned that Reeves would have a starring role in the game. Memes of this followed as well.
— Jay (@highonthighs) June 10, 2019
— lashman (@RobotBrush) June 9, 2019
Cyberpunk 2077 is out April 16, 2020, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
- Keanu Reeves’ name sends Twitter into a rhyming frenzy
- Keanu Reeves walking in slow motion is a great meme
- People on Twitter really want Keanu Reeves to find love (updated)
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.