- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Keanu Reeves is a man on fire.
Reeves recently starred in the third installment of the John Wick franchise and appeared in hit Netflix rom-com Always Be My Maybe in addition to being acknowledged as one of the internet’s collective heartthrobs. Reeves has also displayed his chops as possibly an amateur philosopher. One place fans really didn’t expect Keanu to show up, however, was Microsoft’s E3 conference.
To promote CD Projekt Red’s upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077, Reeves took the stage Sunday much to the delight of the entire E3 crowd. Although he was clearly reading copy from a teleprompter, Reeves’s natural charisma and the fact that he legitimately seemed to be having fun onstage completely won the crowd over. That performance, and the news that followed inspired instant memes.
“You’re breathtaking!” shouted an audience member at him. Reeves immediately returned the compliment, providing what will surely be one of E3 2019’s most endearing moments.
After Reeves’ time onstage at E3, people online could not contain their joy at his appearance during the annual game conference and it spouted positive and playful memes.
keanu has become the ultimate marketing tool. every misstep, every transgression overshadowed by a single application of keanu. we're five years short of an all keanu e3, with each publisher rapidly accumulating clones in a horrific and unwinnable keanu arms race— moth dad ➡️ gone hiking (@innesmck) June 9, 2019
mom said it's my turn on the xbox pic.twitter.com/NPuRafpPJ5— Megan Farokhmanesh @ E3 (@Megan_Nicolett) June 9, 2019
Keanu Reeves Keanu Reeves— tessa (@sherlockify) June 10, 2019
in real life in movies pic.twitter.com/vlDdPi2rem
Reeves’ appearance was not just a wise publicity move. During the release date reveal trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, we learned that Reeves would have a starring role in the game. Memes of this followed as well.
Cyberpunk 2077 is out April 16, 2020, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
- Keanu Reeves’ name sends Twitter into a rhyming frenzy
- Keanu Reeves walking in slow motion is a great meme
- People on Twitter really want Keanu Reeves to find love (updated)
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.