- Who is Cletus Kasady, Woody Harrelson’s character in ‘Venom 2’? Today 7:00 AM
- What is biometric data? Today 6:30 AM
- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
Does anyone really know where the greatest memes start?
It appears the best internet memes come out of nowhere, as is the case with the latest Twitter craze, “[insert celebrity of choice] once said.”
Don’t know how it works? It’s simple.
Pick your favorite celebrity or character in a TV show, book, or movie. Find their most inspirational–or hilarious–quote that’s applicable to most folks’ day-to-day lives and voilà!
“Meredith Grey once said,” one Twitter user wrote, for example.
Meredith Grey once said... pic.twitter.com/2Hhy4m5JtP— Grey's Anatomy Quotes (@GreysAnatomyHD) October 30, 2019
Now, Grey said a lot of shit during the 16 (!) and counting seasons of Grey’s Anatomy. But some of her one-liners really stuck with viewers, it appears.
A few of those lines had us in our feelings.
“You don’t get to call me a whore. When I met you, I thought I had found the person that I was going to spend the rest of my life with. You left me. I’m all glued back together now. I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke,” Twitter user @brittaniihtx responded.
You don't get to call me a whore. When I met you, I thought I had found the person that I was going to spend the rest of my life with. You left me. I'm all glued back together now. I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke. https://t.co/qpJoXwIsH9— bee (@brittaniihtx) October 30, 2019
i want to be extraordinary together rather than ordinary apart— Ashley Renee (@ahiggs26) October 30, 2019
Cristina Yang also said some inspiring shit.
“Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun, you are,” Twitter user @feministhumor wrote.
Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun, you are. https://t.co/pHyikZC3OZ— Feminist Humor (@feministhumor) October 30, 2019
And not every meme has to be depressing–don’t worry.
In response to a “Kelly Rowland once said” tweet, the internet recalled a time during one of her older music videos where she appeared to try to text through Excel. Classic.
There were, of course, moments of true female empowerment.
“I’m not Big Sean’s ex. I’m not Niall’s possible new girl. I’m Ariana Grande, and if that’s not interesting enough, don’t talk to me,” someone wrote in response to an “Ariana Grande once said” tweet.
I'm not gon' blast you on the radio— Nicolasa (@not_1257) October 30, 2019
I'm not gon' lie on you and your family, oh
I'm not gon' hate on you in the magazines
I'm not gon' compromise my Christianity
You know I'm not gon' dis you on the internet
🗣️🗣️ 'Cause my momma taught me better than that!#Survivor
I'm not Big Sean's ex. I'm not Niall's possible new girl. I'm Ariana Grande, and if that's not interesting enough, don't talk to me.— carine (@imhgng) October 30, 2019
One user recalled one of Kim Kardashian West’s most iconic lines from Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
“Maybe if you had a fucking business that you were passionate about you would know what it takes to run a fucking business but you DON’T,” Twitter user @selarlene recalled.
“Maybe if you had a fucking business that you were passionate about you would know what it takes to run a fucking business but you DON’T” https://t.co/sJMwnN2mLN— Sel (@selarlene) October 31, 2019
And another recalled one of the most iconic lines said to Kardashian West on Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
“Kim there’s people that are dying,” they wrote, quoting Kourtney Kardashian’s response to Kardashian West losing her diamond earring in the ocean while vacationing in Bora Bora.
Kim there’s people that are dying https://t.co/XUEHckIQl1— Hunter (@ihunbun) October 31, 2019
Alexandra Samuels is a political reporter at the Texas Tribune and contributor to the Daily Dot, where she started as an intern covering politics in the summer of 2016. She enjoys Marvel movies, baking, and reading murder-mystery novels.