- Man allegedly kills girlfriend, then pretends to be her on Facebook Sunday 4:29 PM
- Trevor Lawrence met TikTok teen who looks just like him Sunday 3:48 PM
- Trump’s hospital visit spawns conspiracy theories Sunday 2:49 PM
- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ Sunday 2:02 PM
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Sunday 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Sunday 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Sunday 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Sunday 11:24 AM
- Will.i.am claims ‘racist’ flight attendant called police on him Sunday 10:28 AM
- How does Disney+ compare to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+? Sunday 9:35 AM
- How to stream Patriots vs. Eagles live Sunday 9:30 AM
- Girl turns herself into ‘pleading face’ emoji Sunday 9:27 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Lions live Sunday 9:00 AM
- Chaotic good, true neutral: The 2020 Democrat alignment chart Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Brazil live in the U-17 World Cup final Sunday 3:00 AM
It seems kind of absurd, when you think about it, that incoming college freshmen are expected to choose a major to ostensibly determine the entire trajectory of their adult professional lives (and at the tender age of 18, or what have you). Yet, the tradition upholds, for the millions of plucky teens marching off to universities each autumn. And now we have the perfect “majors be like” Twitter meme to mock their hasty enthusiasm.
The general setup of the meme is pretty straightforward. One simply tweets, “[type of college major] be like, damn I have a [stereotypical project or broad aspect related to that major] due on Friday [or another day of the week].”
“Aerospace majors be like damn I have a plane due this Friday,” one user wrote. Another joked about stem majors being tasked with producing a robot, shortly after the meme began going viral earlier this week.
aerospace majors be like damn i have a plane due this friday— alli☼ (@allisonpuke) October 30, 2019
stem majors be like damn i have a robot due this friday— maddie from the local news (@fettyschwapp) October 29, 2019
archaeology majors be like I have a dinosaur due on Monday 😩— Chase (@chaselyons) October 30, 2019
The beauty of the meme is that it works on nearly any level, from more nuanced studies to your everyday sociology, psychology, and business majors.
“Sociology majors be like damn i have to solve systematic racism by friday,” Twitter user @sadmexi wrote.
anthropology majors be like I have a society due on monday 😩— lil snuggie (@snuggiesuperfan) October 30, 2019
psychology majors be like damn I have trauma to process by Friday— Leslie (@HeyLeslie97) October 30, 2019
business majors be like ugh i have a company due on monday 😩— Beans After Dark (@goodbeanalt) October 30, 2019
sociology majors be like damn i have to solve systematic racism by friday— ✩ lisette ✩ (@sadmexi) October 30, 2019
international relations majors be like damn i have a CIA-sponsored coup to support this friday— porg (@EFFLORESCENE) October 30, 2019
government majors be like damn I have a war crime due on thursday— Zach Price (@price_zach) October 30, 2019
Others got kind of literal with the meme, particularly those with majors that involve heavy workloads. (Hello from a former art major here.)
“Art majors be like damn i have a critique, sculpture, 4 graphic design projects, 6 sketchbook assignments, and 3 submissions for the art show that need to be prepared to hang due this friday,” Twitter user @ddarchomp wrote.
art majors be like damn i have a critique, sculpture, 4 graphic design projects, 6 sketchbook assignments, and 3 submissions for the art show that need to be prepared to hang due this friday— faith (@ddarchomp) October 30, 2019
Music majors be like damn I have a mental breakdown due monday— Shannon. (@Breathe_DAH) October 31, 2019
theatre majors be like ugh i have an emotional breakdown due friday— Pumpkin Head (@sislikesrats) October 30, 2019
Or, in at least a couple of cases, the meme can refer to a dearth of a conceivable workload.
“Business majors be like I have nothing due this week,” Twitter user @versaceteen wrote.
Business majors be like I have nothing due this week— jorgito (@versaceteen) October 30, 2019
film majors be like fuck i gotta do nothing by friday— jaboukie (@jaboukie) October 31, 2019
Others came up with sardonic jokes about the, uh, sad realities of their chosen major. “UGH I have UNEMPLOYMENT due on Monday,” one (presumable) English major wrote.
English majors be like “UGH I have UNEMPLOYMENT due on Monday😩”— Mary Bolf (@BolfMary) October 31, 2019
finance majors be like i have a bag of coke due friday— the bitch in question (@timfooleryy) October 30, 2019
Although surely–surely–no one would have any jokes to make at the expense of journalism majors, right?
“Journalism majors be like damn i have a buzzfeed quiz due this friday,” Twitter user @jordanrubiks wrote.
journalism majors be like damn i have a buzzfeed quiz due this friday— jordan (@jordanrubiks) October 30, 2019
Ah, yes, of course. Honestly, though, you could do worse in this climate.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.