- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
Well, it finally happened. Boris Johnson was elected UK’s prime minister on Tuesday, replacing Theresa May. The conservative politician, who previously served as foreign secretary and mayor of London, is a strong advocate of Brexit. On Twitter, people are reacting to the announcement with memes.
Breaking: universe reacts to news that Boris Johnson is to be Prime Minister. pic.twitter.com/AQkP304TPb— Nicholas Pegg (@NicholasPegg) July 23, 2019
Boris Johnson vows to restore England to rightful place on world stage. pic.twitter.com/FRmJfs9hhe— DPRK News Service (@DPRK_News) July 23, 2019
Some of them got personal.
Prime Minister Mr. Neutron pic.twitter.com/bxCmaIW6tX— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) July 23, 2019
The Conservative Party: We hereby elect Boris Johnson as leader and Britain's next Prime Minister— Michael Barwise (@MichaelWBarwise) July 23, 2019
With a great take on Johnson’s own reaction to the news.
This is Boris Johnson when people ask him how come he’s our new PM pic.twitter.com/02pOEb62Cq— Tolu (@_talnd) July 23, 2019
And, of course, people are sharing Simpsons memes. Can’t ignore the classics.
the results of the tory leadership contest are in pic.twitter.com/YIHYFPOp7B— a a dril (@demarionunn) July 23, 2019
Ireland Simpsons Fans, who tweet a lot about Brexit, had one of their own.
Boris Johnson. British Prime Minister (2019-2019) pic.twitter.com/yxWcgavq46— Ireland Simpsons Fans (@iresimpsonsfans) July 23, 2019
This Stranger Things clip is honestly a pretty good summation of what’s happening right now.
As well as this Beetlejuice reference.
Despair is another big focal point of these memes.
so boris johnson is pm? pic.twitter.com/L23lSOvAaV— lewys (@lookingforlewys) July 23, 2019
And some of us are feeling a tad nervous.
Boris Johnson just became prime minister of the United Kingdom pic.twitter.com/LalfHA3ZzN— Jack Edwards (@jackbenedwards) July 23, 2019
With justifiable alarm for free health services.
It’s time to fight against Boris Johnson’s plans for the NHS! Don’t let him get away with it! pic.twitter.com/tWl7NSQPLo— NHS for a People's Vote (@NHSforPV) July 23, 2019
Looks like Larry’s not overly thrilled about his new owner, either.
Twitter user @DaleksGamertag, who apparently dances to political events, had to make one for this.
After hearing the next Prime Minister will be the serial liar Boris Johnson I just had to dance to lift everyone's spirits! Always look on the bright side of life folks! #NextPrimeMinister pic.twitter.com/VlW1w4l9Z8— James (@DaleksGamertag) July 23, 2019
The comparisons between Donald Trump and Boris Johnson kicked off almost immediately after the news was announced.
Boris Johnson is just Donald Trump with a FaceApp filter. pic.twitter.com/6zFNW16Gkq— Koshiek Karan (@iamkoshiek) July 23, 2019
And there were quite a few “clown” memes.
we made fun of americans for electing donald trump and now we have boris johnson pic.twitter.com/F7oU3FASRN— ellé (@ellexmoretti) July 23, 2019
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am. pic.twitter.com/itXctJehgT— Justin Hendrix (@justinhendrix) July 23, 2019
donald trump and boris johnson brain storming ideas on how to bring back slavery pic.twitter.com/t6sPw0Cf5j— cheating scandal rooney (@goingdummi) July 23, 2019
Boris Johnson is the best Trump cosplay I’ve ever seen. pic.twitter.com/gfzLOaGj4S— The Volatile Mermaid (@OhNoSheTwitnt) July 23, 2019
Boris Johnson will be the next British Prime Minister. The world is now ruled by two men with rotten hearts and heinous hair. pic.twitter.com/gTsvNfW2Pt— IM🍑HIM (@ziyatong) July 23, 2019
The #indieref supporters—people wanting a referendum for Scottish independence—are back, too.
Poor Boris is apparently not off to a great start.
Meanwhile, as one person pointed out, “British politics is about to get a hell of a lot more entertaining.”
Boris Johnson to be the new UK Prime minister.— Keira Savage (@KeiraSavage00) July 23, 2019
British politics is about to get a hell of a lot more entertaining. pic.twitter.com/I2JMMtHdcK
Siobhan Ball is a historian, archivist, and journalist. She also writes for Autostraddle and bi.org