- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Today 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Today 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Today 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Today 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Today 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Today 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Today 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Today 12:01 PM
- Pete Buttigieg can’t do the Pete Buttigieg dance Today 11:55 AM
- How a woman’s cold ‘rejection form’ text message became an ’emotional labor’ meme Today 11:52 AM
- How to watch Texas vs. Georgetown in the 2K Empire classic Today 11:40 AM
- Apple cancels premiere of original film ‘The Banker’ amid sexual abuse allegations Today 11:25 AM
- Congress passes bill to safeguard Hong Kong, protesters Today 11:15 AM
- Conquer Black Friday and Cyber Monday, whether you’re shopping online or IRL Today 10:40 AM
- #DeadUploadDay: YouTubers fight new rules for monetizing kids videos Today 10:39 AM
Warning: This article contains spoilers for Stranger Things season 3.
Stranger Things season 3 has already broken a lot of records. According to Netflix, more than 40 million households viewed the new season in its first four days—more than any other film or series on the platform. Stranger Things season 3 also boasted the longest continuous use of sailor suits as normal attire. But the Scoops Ahoy uniform was just one of dozens of funny moments that fans immortalized with memes. Rather than immediately re-binge the entire season, you can scratch your Stranger Things itch with these carefully curated Stranger Things season 3 memes.
The best Stranger Things season 3 memes
1) Joyce and her magnets
Joyce’s fixation on her broken magnets got many viewers talking. While she was right, and her insistence that something was wrong ultimately led to her shutting down the giant machine that was opening the gate, her obsession with the inanimate objects was ripe meme material.
2) The NeverEnding Story theme song
While this musical break in the Stranger Things season 3 finale may have drawn split critical reactions, those who enjoyed it really, really enjoyed it. Fans made sure to broadcast that they were listening to “The NeverEnding Story” on repeat and sobbing uncontrollably.
3) “Keep the door open three inches”
Dustin and Suzie’s wholesome duet wasn’t the only thing that got tears flowing. Hopper’s surprise death at the end of Stranger Things season 3—and the humble request he wrote in his letter to El—left many fans inconsolable.
4) “Hopper’s alive” theories
While some fans were weeping over Hopper’s letter, others were theorizing (or insisting) that the police chief is not, in fact, deceased. Fan theories quickly circulated, emphasizing the Russians’ mention of “the American” in the post-credits scene.
Will Byers was not a large part of Stranger Things 3. The character, whose disappearance in season 1 was central to the sci-fi story, mainly appeared in this season to ask his friends to play D&D with him. But his friends are distracted all summer by their new relationships.
6) The Mind Flayer
Whenever the monstrous Mind Flayer was nearby, Will rubbed the back of his neck and said to his friends, “He’s close.” The motion spawned memes of photos and videos of people touching the back of their neck.
And then there was the Mind Flayer surviving the fireworks the gang threw on it in the Starcourt Mall.
It’s a known fact that if you share footage of someone holding a card, poster, or whiteboard, meme-makers will Photoshop something onto it. Netflix knew what it was doing when it had new character Robin (Maya Hawke) hold up a board to Steve that showed a “You Rule” versus “You Suck” tally. Stranger Things fans used the board to express hot takes and theories about the show.
Alexei, affectionately dubbed “Smirnoff” by Hopper, truly deserved better. The Russian character quickly became a fan favorite in Stranger Things season 3 for his earnest love of cherry Slurpees and cartoons. RIP, Alexei.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.