- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
Warning: This article contains spoilers for Stranger Things season 3.
Stranger Things season 3 has already broken a lot of records. According to Netflix, more than 40 million households viewed the new season in its first four days—more than any other film or series on the platform. Stranger Things season 3 also boasted the longest continuous use of sailor suits as normal attire. But the Scoops Ahoy uniform was just one of dozens of funny moments that fans immortalized with memes. Rather than immediately re-binge the entire season, you can scratch your Stranger Things itch with these carefully curated Stranger Things season 3 memes.
The best Stranger Things season 3 memes
1) Joyce and her magnets
Joyce’s fixation on her broken magnets got many viewers talking. While she was right, and her insistence that something was wrong ultimately led to her shutting down the giant machine that was opening the gate, her obsession with the inanimate objects was ripe meme material.
2) The NeverEnding Story theme song
While this musical break in the Stranger Things season 3 finale may have drawn split critical reactions, those who enjoyed it really, really enjoyed it. Fans made sure to broadcast that they were listening to “The NeverEnding Story” on repeat and sobbing uncontrollably.
3) “Keep the door open three inches”
Dustin and Suzie’s wholesome duet wasn’t the only thing that got tears flowing. Hopper’s surprise death at the end of Stranger Things season 3—and the humble request he wrote in his letter to El—left many fans inconsolable.
4) “Hopper’s alive” theories
While some fans were weeping over Hopper’s letter, others were theorizing (or insisting) that the police chief is not, in fact, deceased. Fan theories quickly circulated, emphasizing the Russians’ mention of “the American” in the post-credits scene.
Will Byers was not a large part of Stranger Things 3. The character, whose disappearance in season 1 was central to the sci-fi story, mainly appeared in this season to ask his friends to play D&D with him. But his friends are distracted all summer by their new relationships.
6) The Mind Flayer
Whenever the monstrous Mind Flayer was nearby, Will rubbed the back of his neck and said to his friends, “He’s close.” The motion spawned memes of photos and videos of people touching the back of their neck.
And then there was the Mind Flayer surviving the fireworks the gang threw on it in the Starcourt Mall.
It’s a known fact that if you share footage of someone holding a card, poster, or whiteboard, meme-makers will Photoshop something onto it. Netflix knew what it was doing when it had new character Robin (Maya Hawke) hold up a board to Steve that showed a “You Rule” versus “You Suck” tally. Stranger Things fans used the board to express hot takes and theories about the show.
Alexei, affectionately dubbed “Smirnoff” by Hopper, truly deserved better. The Russian character quickly became a fan favorite in Stranger Things season 3 for his earnest love of cherry Slurpees and cartoons. RIP, Alexei.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.