- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
AP confuses alleged murderer Robert Durst with Limp Bizkit’s Fred Durst
So you can take that cookie and stick it up your—
I just started watching HBO’s true-crime documentary miniseries The Jinx, but I already know how it ends: with the offscreen arrest, just days ago, of its subject, multimillionaire real estate scion Robert Durst. In addition to a count of first-degree murder, Durst was lately booked on a weapons beef in Louisiana (or someone with that surname was charged, anyway).
Media hound Jim Romenesko pointed out that in relating that last bit of news on Monday, the Associated Press mixed up the 71-year-old estranged heir with Fred Durst, the 44-year-old lead singer/screamer of popular nü-metal band Limp Bizkit.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) – A Louisiana State Police trooper says millionaire Robert Durst has been booked on weapons charges in that state – on top of a first-degree murder charge lodged by Los Angeles authorities. Trooper Melissa Matey told the Associated Press that an arrest warrant was issued for the former Limp Bizkit frontman and he was rebooked in the Orleans Parish Jail on Monday under two new charges.
An amazing correction and (many one-liners) followed.
In the second item of the California 10th NewsMinute sent March 16 to users of the state broadcast wire, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Robert Durst is a member of a band. He is a real estate heir; Fred Durst is the former frontman of Limp Bizkit.
Durst defense idea: “Did it all for the nookie.” Potential for confused jurors high. Mistrial at least. Jury nullification at best!
— scotthess (@scotthess) March 17, 2015
There was me thinking Fred Durst had been arrested for murder. Always read the article. And keep on rollin, rollin, rollin!
— Michael Hynes (@mickeyhynes) March 17, 2015
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'