Face filters are the new norm on photo and video-sharing apps like Snapchat, TikTok, and Instagram. But, a new anime filter is all the rage—so much so that Snapchat users are manually porting their filtered photos and videos to other apps for widespread use.
The filter, which is called Anime Style, but users have coined #animefilter, is exactly what it sounds to be. Results vary depending on a person’s bone structure, skin tone, and hair color, but the overall look is very spot-on for a Japanese anime cartoon. Additionally, different effects appear if the user chooses to widen or squint their eyes.
Some users have even placed the filters on their pets, favorite celebrities, and iconic pop culture moments. With over 62 million collective views on TikTok, #animefilter proves to be a social media culture success.
Anime filter: How to try it
If you also want to try out the filter in places other than Snapchat, follow these five simple steps and get your cosplay on.
- Install Snapchat on your phone and then use this direct link to the Snapchat anime filter.
- The Snapchat will instantly open. Next, save the filter to your Snapchat filter collection by tapping “Unlock for 48 hours.”
- Record yourself using the filter in the Snapchat app.
- Save the video or photo to your camera roll on your smartphone.
- Lastly, upload the saved video you recorded in Snapchat to TikTok, Instagram Stories, or another medium.
Today’s top stories
|Woman yells ‘f*ck Black Lives Matter’ at Black barista who asked her to wear mask|
|Dominatrix goes viral after walking man on leash through supermarket|
|Video: Racist woman allegedly tries to stomp on man’s pet turtles|
|Sign up to receive the Daily Dot’s Internet Insider newsletter for urgent news from the frontline of online.|