- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
Breakout TikTok user Alex French hit one million followers this weekend—and she did it overnight.
The viral star is known for dancing and lip-syncing to music in her videos. She’s had the account since April but started posting regularly in November. In a video posted two days ago, French thanked her followers for getting her to the 300,000-follower landmark. She now has about 1.3 million.
She started gaining popularity after she posted a video compilation of her saying “hi” when she had a sore throat. People began making copies of the video. But whether TikTok users loved it or hated it, the video helped her gain fame and followers.
Although French is known for the dancing TikToks, she’s mostly known for her big smiles in the videos. French’s followers have told her that she looks like Katie from the Horton Hears a Who! movie. She’s made videos where she shows their likeness.
TikTok is the fastest growing social media platform and has 500 million active users worldwide, according to Oberlo. But despite the popularity of the app, French’s growth, in such a short time period, is surprising.
Taylor Lorenz, a New York Times journalist who reports on the internet, tweeted that French’s growth outpaced Charli D’Amelio, who is a TikTok star also known for her dancing videos.
A girl names Alex French is blowing up on TikTok right now outpacing Charli’s growth. She’s about to hit 1M followers in under 24 hours. Currently at 859.6k https://t.co/hIFe1zWt02 via @mws pic.twitter.com/gzvQvreWg9— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) December 1, 2019
Twitter users are sharing their shock about French’s TikTok takeoff. And of course, the rumors have begun, with some doubting that her raspy voice is real. Others are questioning why she got famous so quickly. (French has pointed out, herself, that she’s an awkward dancer.)
alex french just hit 1M on tiktok....she literally had 300k last night i-— сece ♥︎ (@hweetener) December 1, 2019
let’s talk about how Alex French had the fastest growing account ever... Charli D’amelio who? pic.twitter.com/29DogYIklr— ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ (@micahhomg) December 2, 2019
deleted vid of alex french after being “exposed” for changing her voice and portraying herself as a never ending ray of sunshine pic.twitter.com/9Anunl0sOi— ling ling (@iChristina_) December 2, 2019
the new hype on tiktok is on alex french lmfao she literally had 400K yesterday morning and now she has 1.2M 🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵 this shits trippy— mia 🤡 (@kamiliazhan) December 2, 2019
alex french: hi— mo ♡s nick wilde (@agustIeaves) December 2, 2019
the whole tiktok community: talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show-stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before
It seems like French’s viral growth won’t stop anytime soon. She posted a video thanking her followers for hitting one million. Less than 12 hours later, she has 300,000 more followers.
Sierra Juarez is a freelance journalist and fact-checker based in Mexico. She most enjoys writing about human rights and politics and working in audience engagement. Her work has appeared in the Texas Tribune, the Austin American–Statesman, and the San Antonio Current.