- Republicans are still angry over a Barron Trump impeachment joke 3 Weeks Ago
- Pelosi calls for House to proceed with impeachment against Trump 3 Weeks Ago
- Justin Timberlake posts apology amid cheating rumor Today 7:51 AM
- ‘The Expanse’ makes a triumphant return with season 4 Today 6:30 AM
- ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ is a disappointing sequel Today 5:00 AM
- Spanish ‘Big Brother’ contestant forced to watch footage of her own alleged sexual assault Today 12:35 AM
- There’s a lot you can say during sex and also while at Disney World Wednesday 9:34 PM
- Peloton shows 3 positive emails and a Facebook post to prove its ad wasn’t cringe Wednesday 8:23 PM
- Bhad Bhabie accused of cultural appropriation, then criticized Black women with her defense Wednesday 7:23 PM
- Pinterest, the Knot called out for glamorizing plantation weddings (updated) Wednesday 6:55 PM
- Subreddit dedicated to dunking on ‘Game of Thrones’ 2019’s most popular TV subreddit Wednesday 6:25 PM
- Jason Derulo is pissed Instagram deleted his risqué bulge photo Wednesday 5:50 PM
- Instagram taking steps to ensure users are over 13 years old Wednesday 5:16 PM
- ‘Trayvon Hoax’ screening canceled after George Zimmerman files lawsuit Wednesday 5:06 PM
- Mailchimp sued for allegedly facilitating sex trafficking Wednesday 3:51 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the weirder movie controversies this year. When the first trailer came out in April, Sonic fans were so disgusted by the character’s weirdly “realistic” CGI design that Sonic’s human-looking teeth became a meme unto themselves. Paramount Pictures decided to delay the film a few months and redo Sonic to look more like his cartoonish origins, and now they’ve unveiled the new version.
The new and improved Sonic is a lot more stylized and, crucially, doesn’t seem to have a mouth full of photorealistic teeth. Fans reacted positively to the character’s redesign on Twitter.
I can’t believe how good Sonic looks now.— Jon (@MrDalekJD) November 12, 2019
Man fully had a glow up & actually looks like himself now! pic.twitter.com/xwaoNMUsGV
This is so much better. I'm glad they revamped him. I wouldn't be embarrassed to see the Sonic movie now. pic.twitter.com/ebGf3eUB9h— Meeki (@ebilmeeki) November 12, 2019
EVERYONE SAY THANK YOU TO THE SONIC MOVIE CREW— The Epic Frick (@FrickEpic) November 12, 2019
They really deserve a treat for actually listening to the fans and redesigning Sonic here.
I thought the leak was too good to be true but the new design LOOKS SO GOOD#SonicMovie #SonicTheHedgehog pic.twitter.com/a9NQloTwLb
Naturally, the new trailer also gave the internet more material for Sonic memes.
Co-starring Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik and James Marsden as Sonic’s human friend, Sonic the Hedgehog comes out on Feb. 14, 2020. It bears very little resemblance to its video game inspiration, but then again, Detective Pikachu was also pretty different from most people’s experience of Pokémon, and it was still a hit.
You can watch the newly designed Sonic in the trailer below.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor