- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy 6 Months Ago
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
Gotta go fast and far away from this nightmare fuel.
Last month, we saw realistic (and somewhat terrifying) versions of our favorite animated Pokémon characters in the trailer for the upcoming Detective Pikachu film. Now we’re about to find out what Sonic the Hedgehog will look like in a new live-action film.
IGN revealed the first look at the 2019 Sonic the Hedgehog film today. There isn’t much to see—just a poster with a silhouette of the Sega character ready to sprint into action—but it was enough to spark jokes and memes.
Take a look at the brand new motion poster for Sonic The Hedgehog right here! pic.twitter.com/15n5APqaM0
— IGN (@IGN) December 10, 2018
Those familiar with Sonic’s overall look might notice some subtle, offputting differences between the video game character and the version that appears in the poster, including a surprisingly toned musculature and a face that looks a bit angular.
Fans were quick to point out these differences.
i cant wait to see how fucking horrible this movie will be pic.twitter.com/yTDPGFinUS
— White (@whyt_srb2) December 10, 2018
Finally he gets his time to shine pic.twitter.com/fj7zC3iStL
— Josh (@Zets278) December 10, 2018
HE'S NOT WEARING BIG GLOVES
WHERE ARE THE BIG GLOVES pic.twitter.com/9KJQOQZHqP
— FestiveFlalalma ❄ (@DitzyFlama) December 10, 2018
sonic’s legs look like he’s wearing yoga pants in that movie poster pic.twitter.com/2MXsZveq8S
— shan murphy (@heyshanmurphy) December 10, 2018
— Giant Dad Neri🔞 (@NeriCurls) December 10, 2018
For some fans, it’s all about Sonic’s body shape. Like a lot of cartoon or video game characters, many of Sonic’s features are exaggerated or minimized in order to accentuate certain aspects of his body and attitude.
sonic the hedgehog should not have perceptible musculature. i'll die on this hillhttps://t.co/P6YvOHLRB8
— Shaun (@shaun_jen) December 10, 2018
…why is everything but his head proportioned like a human wearing a Sonic costume (look at the arm and leg muscles and body shape!) when he's going to be animated? pic.twitter.com/dwP0abgxbU
— Bob Chipman #RehireJamesGunn (@the_moviebob) December 10, 2018
Really hope that's his knee. pic.twitter.com/bVqiAGAWMA
— The Christmas Season Presents: Palle Hoffstein (@Palle_Hoffstein) December 10, 2018
Of course, plenty of people can’t help but compare this poster to the trailer for Detective Pikachu.
I've worked out who's doing mocap for the Sonic movie. pic.twitter.com/eTu4c6qUOo
— Jim Sterling (@JimSterling) December 10, 2018
Even Japanese fans are being forced to confront Sonic’s weird little body.
Japanese speaking Sonic fans react to the Sonic movie reveal. pic.twitter.com/GUqgPXLVTY
— SEGAbits (@SEGAbits) December 10, 2018
There’s also the eyes. In the games and cartoons, Sonic typically has one big eye-hole that bridges over his nose. It’s the kind of silly anime-esque thing you’d expect, but it works, and one imagines it makes it easier to animate his expressions. Judging from the live-action movie poster, though, Sonic’s eyes might be smaller.
Wait is that Sonic’s eye right there? See the green? Are they giving him actual hedgehog eyes colored green?? 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/Ob2w6u2IgS
— Cy🌀 (@Cybrid101) December 10, 2018
The whole eye thing calls to mind the haunted Sonic video game creepypasta from last year, where the hedgehog’s eyes were glazed over with bloodlust.
Even in IGN’s first look at the movie, executive producer Tim Miller (who also directed Deadpool) said the eyes were one of the hardest things to nail down.
“I don’t think SEGA was entirely happy with the eye decision, but these sorts of things you go, ‘It’s going to look weird if we don’t do this.’ But everything is a discussion, and that’s kind of the goal, which is to only change what’s necessary and stay true to the rest of it,” Miller said to IGN. “He’s not going to feel like a Pixar character would because I don’t think that’s the right aesthetic to make it feel like part of our world.”
Live Action Sonic the Hedgehog pic.twitter.com/CGMJiW6O0a
— Noel (@komOWOshi) December 10, 2018
Remember those messed up #sonic popsicles we use to eat?
This is him now… feel old yet? pic.twitter.com/CBpHiSHQEn
— JØN (@JonJaden03) December 10, 2018
Sonic the Hedgehog hits theaters on November 8, 2019 in the United States, November 28 in Australia, and December 6 in the U.K.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.