- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled 3 Months Ago
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Today 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Today 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Today 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Today 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Today 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Today 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Today 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Today 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Today 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Today 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Today 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Today 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Today 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Today 8:58 AM
Gotta go fast and far away from this nightmare fuel.
Last month, we saw realistic (and somewhat terrifying) versions of our favorite animated Pokémon characters in the trailer for the upcoming Detective Pikachu film. Now we’re about to find out what Sonic the Hedgehog will look like in a new live-action film.
IGN revealed the first look at the 2019 Sonic the Hedgehog film today. There isn’t much to see—just a poster with a silhouette of the Sega character ready to sprint into action—but it was enough to spark jokes and memes.
Take a look at the brand new motion poster for Sonic The Hedgehog right here! pic.twitter.com/15n5APqaM0
— IGN (@IGN) December 10, 2018
Those familiar with Sonic’s overall look might notice some subtle, offputting differences between the video game character and the version that appears in the poster, including a surprisingly toned musculature and a face that looks a bit angular.
Fans were quick to point out these differences.
i cant wait to see how fucking horrible this movie will be pic.twitter.com/yTDPGFinUS
— White (@whyt_srb2) December 10, 2018
Finally he gets his time to shine pic.twitter.com/fj7zC3iStL
— Josh (@Zets278) December 10, 2018
HE'S NOT WEARING BIG GLOVES
WHERE ARE THE BIG GLOVES pic.twitter.com/9KJQOQZHqP
— FestiveFlalalma ❄ (@DitzyFlama) December 10, 2018
sonic’s legs look like he’s wearing yoga pants in that movie poster pic.twitter.com/2MXsZveq8S
— shan murphy (@heyshanmurphy) December 10, 2018
— NeriCurls🔞 (@NeriCurls) December 10, 2018
For some fans, it’s all about Sonic’s body shape. Like a lot of cartoon or video game characters, many of Sonic’s features are exaggerated or minimized in order to accentuate certain aspects of his body and attitude.
sonic the hedgehog should not have perceptible musculature. i'll die on this hillhttps://t.co/P6YvOHLRB8
— Shaun (@shaun_jen) December 10, 2018
…why is everything but his head proportioned like a human wearing a Sonic costume (look at the arm and leg muscles and body shape!) when he's going to be animated? pic.twitter.com/dwP0abgxbU
— Bob Chipman #RehireJamesGunn (@the_moviebob) December 10, 2018
Really hope that's his knee. pic.twitter.com/bVqiAGAWMA
— The Christmas Season Presents: Palle Hoffstein (@Palle_Hoffstein) December 10, 2018
Of course, plenty of people can’t help but compare this poster to the trailer for Detective Pikachu.
I've worked out who's doing mocap for the Sonic movie. pic.twitter.com/eTu4c6qUOo
— Jim Sterling (@JimSterling) December 10, 2018
Even Japanese fans are being forced to confront Sonic’s weird little body.
Japanese speaking Sonic fans react to the Sonic movie reveal. pic.twitter.com/GUqgPXLVTY
— SEGAbits (@SEGAbits) December 10, 2018
There’s also the eyes. In the games and cartoons, Sonic typically has one big eye-hole that bridges over his nose. It’s the kind of silly anime-esque thing you’d expect, but it works, and one imagines it makes it easier to animate his expressions. Judging from the live-action movie poster, though, Sonic’s eyes might be smaller.
Wait is that Sonic’s eye right there? See the green? Are they giving him actual hedgehog eyes colored green?? 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/Ob2w6u2IgS
— Cy🌀 (@Cybrid101) December 10, 2018
The whole eye thing calls to mind the haunted Sonic video game creepypasta from last year, where the hedgehog’s eyes were glazed over with bloodlust.
Even in IGN’s first look at the movie, executive producer Tim Miller (who also directed Deadpool) said the eyes were one of the hardest things to nail down.
“I don’t think SEGA was entirely happy with the eye decision, but these sorts of things you go, ‘It’s going to look weird if we don’t do this.’ But everything is a discussion, and that’s kind of the goal, which is to only change what’s necessary and stay true to the rest of it,” Miller said to IGN. “He’s not going to feel like a Pixar character would because I don’t think that’s the right aesthetic to make it feel like part of our world.”
Live Action Sonic the Hedgehog pic.twitter.com/CGMJiW6O0a
— Noel (@komOWOshi) December 10, 2018
Remember those messed up #sonic popsicles we use to eat?
This is him now… feel old yet? pic.twitter.com/CBpHiSHQEn
— JØN (@JonJaden03) December 10, 2018
Sonic the Hedgehog hits theaters on November 8, 2019 in the United States, November 28 in Australia, and December 6 in the U.K.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.