- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 2 Years Ago
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 2 Years Ago
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 2 Years Ago
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Today 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Today 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
Netflix officially renewed The Punisher on Dec. 12, 2017, less than a month after season 1 arrived online. That’s a pretty solid vote of approval, but with Netflix cancelling Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage in 2018, it looks like season 2 will probably be The Punisher‘s last. At this point, Marvel’s Netflix franchise is dead in the water.
A new teaser trailer arrived on Jan. 3, 2019, focusing on the Punisher’s rivalry with Jigsaw (Ben Barnes), and announcing the season’s release date.
The Punisher season 2 release date
The Punisher will return on Jan. 18, 2019.
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
- The best order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Ranking the best Marvel series on Netflix
The Punisher season 2 cast and news
Jon Bernthal will return as Frank Castle, with Ben Barnes returning as Billy Russo, Amber Rose Revah returning as Dinah Madani, and Jason R. Moore as Curtis Hoyle. They’re joined by some new cast members including Josh Stewart as a ruthless new character called John Pilgrim, and Corbin Bernsen as a wealthy and powerful man named Anderson Schultz. 13 Reasons Why actress Georgia Whigham will play Amy Bendix, a character from the comics who befriends Frank Castle.
Marvel’s Netflix shows have a troubling habit of switching showrunners, but Steve Lightfoot is still onboard for The Punisher‘s second season. Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter, Lightfoot suggested that while season 1 becomes an origin story for Billy Russo (Ben Barnes) becoming the supervillain Jigsaw, he might not be the central villain for season 2. “One of the villains I love is Barracuda,” Lightfoot said. “I think he’s great fun. I also really like O’Brien. I thought she was always really cool.” Both characters come from Punisher MAX, which is generally regarded as one of the best runs of Punisher comics.
The Punisher season 2 trailer
With the season’s first new clip arriving in that compilation trailer, we should expect a solo trailer soon. In the meantime, here’s a featurette from season 1!
- Everything we know about ‘Daredevil’ season 3
- 12 fascinating facts about Squirrel Girl, Marvel’s most powerful hero
- The best order to watch the X-Men movies
The Punisher season 2 story
Marvel Studios doesn’t do direct adaptations, so while The Punisher takes inspiration from the comics, we may see another original story for season 2.
With organized crime already covered by the other Marvel/Netflix heroes, it would make sense for The Punisher to continue with its military themes. Most of the characters in season 1 were impacted by war in some way, and the story followed Frank Castle’s disillusionment with the military/industrial complex. We only know one thing for sure: Season 2 will be violent and gritty, with Castle treading a fine line between hero and villain.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor