- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Today 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Today 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Today 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Today 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Today 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Today 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Today 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
A love story movie between the Joker and Harley Quinn is reportedly in the works
It will be written and directed by the men behind ‘Crazy, Stupid, Love.’
While the 1980s Joker reboot will reportedly cast a new actor, the Joker-and-Harley movie will see Jared Leto and Margot Robbie reprise their roles. A Harley Quinn-led Gotham City Sirens movie was already in the works with director David Ayer, meaning these characters will either be very busy, or Warner Bros. is planning to cancel something.
Writer/director partnership Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (This Is Us; Crazy, Stupid, Love) are in final negotiations to helm the Joker and Harley movie. It’s described as a “criminal love story,” an idea that will provoke mixed feelings among fans. Both characters are incredibly popular, but there are a couple of obvious concerns about this project. First of all, the premise sets alarm bells ringing about romanticizing the abusive relationship between Harley and the Joker. Secondly, it would’ve been nice to see a woman behind the camera for one of Harley Quinn’s screen appearances. With Joss Whedon writing and directing the Batgirl movie, Warner Bros. seems uninterested in following Wonder Woman with more movies by women filmmakers.
THR’s report goes on to suggest a new direction for the DC franchise as a whole. While the Joker and Harley movie will remain within the main DC franchise alongside Justice League and Suicide Squad, Martin Scorsese’s Joker reboot is part of a new strand, in a similar vein to the Star Wars spinoffs.
Apparently, it’s “unclear” whether Matt Reeves‘ solo Batman movie will be part of the main franchise or not, leaving the door open for Ben Affleck to depart and be replaced by another actor after Justice League. Further complicating matters, Reeves recently said that The Batman is “a standalone, [that] isn’t part of the extended universe.” Is the DC franchise in the midst of a major shake-up?
H/T DC Comics
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor