- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Today 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Today 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Today 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Today 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Today 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Today 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Today 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Today 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Today 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Today 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Today 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Today 11:35 AM
- Twitch streamer Pink_Sparkles responds to gamers who don’t think she belongs Today 11:29 AM
- ‘Black Panther’ nabs 7 Oscar nominations, including best picture Today 10:49 AM
- Somehow Kamala Harris will have to run for president without Bill O’Reilly’s endorsement Today 10:15 AM
U.S. figure skater Jimmy Ma brings down the house with ‘Turn Down For What’
He’s already won gold in our hearts.
The 2018 Winter Olympics next month will allow skaters to perform routines to music with lyrics for the first time, which guarantees that we’ll see plenty of great music choices from skaters. And while we’re already big fans of Jason Brown’s Hamilton routine, fellow U.S. figure skater Jimmy Ma’s song choice in his short program sticks the landing.
At the U.S. National Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, California, Ma took to the ice to perform a routine to DJ Snake’s “Propaganda.” However, about two-thirds of the way through the routine the music faded as a very familiar tune started to emerge: DJ Snake and Lil Jon’s “Turn Down For What.”
The commentators aren’t as sure what to make of it, but the upbeat change gave Ma’s routine—and the audience—a fresh jolt of energy and allowed him to end on a high note.
The transition starts around the 2:20 mark, but if you just want to watch Ma skate to “Turn Down For What” NBC Olympic Talk’s Nick Zaccardi has you covered.
Jimmy Ma brings it at U.S. Figure Skating Championships. pic.twitter.com/ywMuM0vM88
— Nick Zaccardi (@nzaccardi) January 5, 2018
“Figure skating is an extreme sport,” Ma told USA Today after getting off the ice. “I want the most amount of people to see that it is both an awesome art form and also an awesome sport. The whole point was to get people hyped. Get older people hyped and for younger people to think it is cool.”
Ma finished the night in 11th place and he’s unlikely to make the U.S. Men’s Figure Skating team after the free skate on Saturday, but he’s already won gold in our hearts.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.