- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Previously adapted as a short-lived TV series in 2002, Birds of Prey is a Batman spinoff team comic with an all-female lineup. The upcoming movie adaptation is directed by Cathy Yan and co-produced by Harley Quinn actress Margot Robbie, with Harley in one of the lead roles. And unlike some of the other Suicide Squad-related spinoffs, this film is definitely happening.
Here’s everything we know so far about Birds of Prey, including the main cast and the story behind the film’s bizarre title. Margot Robbie posted her first official photo from the movie on Jan. 28, with a very stylish teaser video arriving soon after.
Birds of Prey movie title
On Nov. 20, 2018, Robbie revealed a pretty wild official title for the movie: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).
Most people will probably just call this movie Birds of Prey, but we’re not surprised Warner Bros. put Harley’s name in the title. She’s the most famous character in the cast, and this title simultaneously calls out to Suicide Squad fans while emphasizing the “emancipated” Harley is no longer attached to her abusive boyfriend, the Joker. While Harley is very popular, her relationship with the Joker remains a divisive topic among fans.
Birds of Prey movie cast
Birds of Prey features a main cast of six characters including three superheroes. However, they’re not necessarily the same people you’ll recognize from the Birds of Prey comics. While the movie appears to follow the Batman franchise formula of urban crime-fighting, it features a new team lineup without Oracle (aka Barbara Gordon).
- DC heroes: The top 20 DC Comics superheroes of all time
- Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker spinoff: Cast, photos, release date, and more
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The best superhero movies on Netflix
Ella Jay Basco will play Cassandra Cain, a martial arts expert and vigilante who goes by the superhero name Orphan. Jurnee Smollett-Bell will play Black Canary, a hero with sonic voice powers. Mary Elizabeth Winstead will play Huntress (Helena Bertinelli), a non-superpowered hero who was born into a mafia family.
On the non-superhero side of things, Rosie Perez will play Renee Montoya, a Gotham City police detective who you may recognize from the Batman comics. Ewan McGregor plays the villain Black Mask, a powerful and sadistic crime boss.
In a recent red carpet interview, Mary Elizabeth Winstead described Birds of Prey like this: “It kind of follows Harley Quinn, which is Margot Robbie’s character from [Suicide Squad], and this sort of girl gang that she puts together.”
Birds of Prey movie creative team
Following the success of Wonder Woman, there’s more pressure for studios to recruit women to work on superhero movies, especially films with female superheroes. Director Cathy Yan was selected from a shortlist, making this her first big-budget movie after writing and directing a string of short indie films. Her feature-length debut, Dead Pigs, came out in 2018; it’s a comedy-drama inspired by the real-life tale of 16,000 dead pigs appearing in the Huangpu River in Shanghai.
- The complete list of upcoming DC Comics movies
- The best DC animated movies of all time
- Wonder Woman 2: Everything we know so far
- The top 30 female superheroes of all time
Christina Hodson wrote the Birds of Prey screenplay. She previously wrote the thrillers Shut In and Unforgettable, and the upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.
Birds of Prey movie trailer
We haven’t got a full trailer yet, but Warner Bros. posted a surprised teaser video on Jan. 28, showing snapshots of the main characters in (very stylish) costume.
Birds of Prey movie release date
Birds of Prey comes out on February 7, 2020. It will start filming in early 2019.
This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor