- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Thursday 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Thursday 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Thursday 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Thursday 10:11 AM
Here’s the latest on the ‘Suicide Squad’ spin-off from casting news to the story behind the weird title.
Previously adapted as a short-lived TV series in 2002, Birds of Prey is a Batman spinoff team comic with an all-female lineup. The upcoming movie adaptation is directed by Cathy Yan and co-produced by Harley Quinn actress Margot Robbie, with Harley in one of the lead roles. And unlike some of the other Suicide Squad-related spinoffs, this film is definitely happening.
Here’s everything we know so far about Birds of Prey, including the main cast and the story behind the film’s bizarre title.
Birds of Prey movie title
On Nov. 20, Robbie revealed a pretty wild official title for the movie: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).
Most people will probably just call this movie Birds of Prey, but we’re not surprised Warner Bros. put Harley’s name in the title. She’s the most famous character in the cast, and this title simultaneously calls out to Suicide Squad fans while emphasizing the “emancipated” Harley is no longer attached to her abusive boyfriend, the Joker. While Harley is very popular, her relationship with the Joker remains a divisive topic among fans.
Birds of Prey movie cast
Birds of Prey features a main cast of six characters including three superheroes. However, they’re not necessarily the same people you’ll recognize from the Birds of Prey comics. While the movie appears to follow the Batman franchise formula of urban crime-fighting, it features a new team lineup without Oracle (aka Barbara Gordon).
- DC heroes: The top 20 DC Comics superheroes of all time
- Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker spinoff: Cast, photos, release date, and more
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The best superhero movies on Netflix
Ella Jay Basco will play Cassandra Cain, a martial arts expert and vigilante who goes by the superhero name Orphan. Jurnee Smollett-Bell will play Black Canary, a hero with sonic voice powers. Mary Elizabeth Winstead will play Huntress (Helena Bertinelli), a non-superpowered hero who was born into a mafia family.
On the non-superhero side of things, Rosie Perez will play Renee Montoya, a Gotham City police detective who you may recognize from the Batman comics. Ewan McGregor plays the villain Black Mask, a powerful and sadistic crime boss.
In a recent red carpet interview, Mary Elizabeth Winstead described Birds of Prey like this: “It kind of follows Harley Quinn, which is Margot Robbie’s character from [Suicide Squad], and this sort of girl gang that she puts together.”
Birds of Prey movie creative team
Following the success of Wonder Woman, there’s more pressure for studios to recruit women to work on superhero movies, especially films with female superheroes. Director Cathy Yan was selected from a shortlist, making this her first big-budget movie after writing and directing a string of short indie films. Her feature-length debut, Dead Pigs, came out in 2018; it’s a comedy-drama inspired by the real-life tale of 16,000 dead pigs appearing in the Huangpu River in Shanghai.
- The complete list of upcoming DC Comics movies
- The best DC animated movies of all time
- Wonder Woman 2: Everything we know so far
- The top 30 female superheroes of all time
Christina Hodson wrote the Birds of Prey screenplay. She previously wrote the thrillers Shut In and Unforgettable, and the upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.
Birds of Prey movie trailer
We don’t expect a trailer to arrive until late 2019. But if you’re really keen to watch some Birds of Prey before then, there’s always the 2002 TV series.
Birds of Prey movie release date
Birds of Prey comes out on February 7, 2020. It will start filming in early 2019.
This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.