- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
It finally happened. During Thursday’s Nintendo Direct presentation, the publisher delivered an announcement for something fans have been clamoring for: a Nintendo Switch iteration of Animal Crossing. It’s real! Your gaming prayers have been answered.
Yes, it’s hard to believe, but this isn’t a joke. Soon you’ll be able to catch bugs, go fishing, and make more animal friends than you can shake a stick at—all on the Switch.
If you’ve never played, Animal Crossing is a fun, welcoming life simulation game where you move to a town inhabited solely by animals. Cats, porcupines, dogs, bears, owls—you name it, you might see it. You get your own humble abode to furnish with special accessories while you mingle with townies and earn money. It’s extremely chill and very easy to while away hours in.
There wasn’t much information about the Switch version of the game except that Nintendo is targeting a 2019 release. The new “mainline” series entry is being called its working title for now, Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch, and is the first core game in the series since 2013 (save for the mobile-only Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp that debuted in 2017).
Fans have been on pins and needles waiting for Nintendo to finally drop the news for years, so naturally social media lit up with excitement. Yes, there were some other awesome announcements on Thursday. But ANIMAL CROSSING, THOUGH.
It’s that serious.
I HAVE WAITED SO LONG pic.twitter.com/cio4rPuQZs— Chadtronic (@Chadtronic) September 14, 2018
IM SO HAPPY OMG I LOVE THIS NEWS pic.twitter.com/6C2QE4k4u4— ♥ (@brandyrrobles) September 13, 2018
NINTENDO I LOVE YOU SO MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! pic.twitter.com/Py9cTcmn8N— Let's Go, PikaPlayzHD! #23DaysTilS11 (@ultimatepikafan) September 13, 2018
The way Nintendo delivered the news was perfect, too. After trolling fans and then getting their hopes up by introducing fan-favorite Isabelle as a new fighter for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, it looked like the Nintendo Direct was over. But then, something amazing happened. A short clip began playing of the lovable scamp Tom Nook watching Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailers on his computer.
The big reveal came shortly after that, and people had some hilarious reactions to Tom Nook sitting at his desk while speaking to the audience. (In the game, you’re typically indebted to the character for a while as he makes upgrades to your home in-game and charges you a ridiculous amount of in-game currency, or “bells,” to do it with.)
Memes of Tom Nook behind his computer took off.
tom nook sat alone and horny at night emptying his gigantic racoon testes pic.twitter.com/LzaVMvtEVx— James (@ja_esthega_es) September 13, 2018
Tom Nook sitting in the dark watching Smash trailers is way too relatable. pic.twitter.com/bVLBBAuIoR— Sir Thomal (@Thomal9) September 13, 2018
QUIERO FOTOS DE SPIDERMAN pic.twitter.com/L0QfohfkPy— Diego Santana (@reggenator) September 13, 2018
It’s going to be a long wait until Animal Crossing for Switch finally debuts, but hopefully memes like these will hold everyone over until it does.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.