- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
After 4chan manhunt, cat-kicker slapped with animal cruelty charges
The South Carolina teen is due back in court Sept. 12 for his Vine stunt.
Easley, 17, of Cordova, S.C., was arrested Monday and faced a court magistrate Tuesday after a 6-second video of him abusing a cat set off 4chan’s random imageboard /b/ on a witchhunt. The charge of animal cruelty is a misdemeanor. If convicted, Easley could face a 60-day sentence, the Times and Democrat reported.
Easley became Internet infamous on Aug. 11 after Reddit and 4chan tracked down the horrific Vine video. After the video went viral, Easley deleted the record, but not before the Daily Dot preserved it as a GIF.
Easley also made his Twitter profile, @SuckMy_Walt, private but it was too late; /b/ had already set its sights on bringing Easley to justice.
The community created two different Pastebin documents featuring Easley’s home address, cell phone number, and a link to his sister’s Facebook page. They also included a link to the Times and Democrat so users could contact the paper.
The evening of Aug. 11, two separate /b/ threads implored people to report Easley to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
A petition on Care2 calling for Easley to be brought to justice has collected more than 3,000 digital signatures.
“Walter Easley needs to be apprehended and prosecuted, including incarceration for what he has done,” Kat Karnes wrote on Care2. “Get these people out of society~they are dangerous. List him on an animal abuse registry so those around him will know what kind of monster is in their midst. Ensure that he never goes near another animal, much less have one in his possession.”
Despite all the horrible and devious pranks its pulled over the years—like gaming TIME magazine’s Person of the Year poll to have North Korea’s Kim Jong-un win, raiding the Facebook remembrance page of a dead teenager with horrible messages, and targeting a woman from Wales who hunts Internet trolls— 4chan has also done some good.
In 2011 /b/ helped track down a Texas family law judge who caught on video whipping his disabled daughter. In July, /b/ helped get an iPad-wielding Australian man banned from his gym after he surreptitiously captured photos of people working out and posted them on Facebook to mock them.
According to the Times and Democrat, Easley claims that the video was edited to make it seem like he was kicking the cat. And that in reality, he had just tossed it into the air with his foot.
“On Monday, Animal Control and law enforcement officers spoke with the youth about the incident at his school,” the Times and Democrat added. “After stating he understood his Miranda rights, the youth told authorities he was ‘hanging with some friends’ when they came up with the idea after watching a standup routine by comedian Kevin Hart, who joked about a cat drinking milk from a bowl.”
Easley is due back in court on Sept. 12.
Illustration by Jason Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.