- ‘Jawline’ takes a stunning look at influencers and the social media gold rush Today 7:00 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in September 2019 Today 6:58 AM
- The biggest conspiracy theories around Area 51 Today 6:30 AM
- How to listen to YouTube music in the background on your phone Today 6:00 AM
- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
Some guy kicked a kitten on Vine, and now the Internet’s after him
You don’t just kick a kitten and get away with it.
The Internet has brought out their pitchforks and torches to go after a Vine user that posted a clip of himself kicking a cat.
Walter Easley uploaded the six second footage to the video-sharing platform on July 28. The offending video went largely unnoticed until today, when it found its way to Reddit and 4chan. Users of both sites were predictably furious.
Update: Easly deleted the original Vine. Here’s a Gif.
On Reddit, a link to the video has shot up to the top of r/rage, a subcategory of the site reserved for incendiary content. That submission currently has 924 karma points and has received more than 300 comments, the lot of them condemning Easley for his behavior:
“To kick a cat you have to be a messed up person but to post it to vine like it’s funny, probably prompting other idiots to do the same thing, is unforgivable. This guy deserves whatever is coming to him.”
The response on 4chan has been even more intense. Mixed in with racial epithets, forum users have been dumping Easley’s personal information, including a Google maps screenshot of his possible home.
As per Easley, he’s only adding fuel to the fire by taunting those he’s pissed off. On Twitter, he laughed off people’s reactions.
Lol now I got somthing to laugh at all day
— ~WalterEasley~ (@SuckMy_Walt) August 11, 2013
He also posted another video on Vine in which he threatened to kick another cat, but that clip has since been taken down.
Photo via Walter Easley/Vine
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.