- Hong Kong protesters wear LeBron James masks Wednesday 7:58 PM
- Gina Rodriguez has said N-word before, Twitter discovers Wednesday 6:54 PM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. Broncos on Thursday Night Football Wednesday 6:00 PM
- Feds take down dark web’s largest known child porn site Wednesday 5:33 PM
- Ben Shapiro says his ‘man body’ is just as controlled as women’s Wednesday 5:06 PM
- Genius turns Kylie Jenner’s ‘rise and shine’ meme into alarm ringtone Wednesday 4:14 PM
- In ‘Tell Me Who I Am,’ twin brothers grapple with hidden trauma Wednesday 4:13 PM
- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ Wednesday 3:07 PM
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Wednesday 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Wednesday 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Wednesday 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Wednesday 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Wednesday 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Wednesday 11:14 AM
The president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., claimed on Monday that a person could not walk the streets of downtown Chicago in Trump gear without getting shot. While that statement was met with ridicule for the hyperbole it was, it echoed a sentiment that has been percolating online among Trump’s biggest supporters.
Trump supporters frequently coin new phrases to explain away the fact that their president is disliked by many. Previously, they’ve tried Trump Derangement Syndrome. Now, it’s Magaphobia.
One of Trump’s most ardent fans and extremely online right-winger Jack Posobiec began tweeting about it in the wake of both the Jussie Smollett hoax and a conservative supporter getting punched in California. It’s a way to show how Trump’s opponents are driven mad by people’s support of the president.
#Magaphobia: Know The Signs— Jack Posobiec ☘️ (@JackPosobiec) February 25, 2019
- Red hats send you into fits of rage
- Suspecting your neighbors of being KGB agents
- Screaming "traitor" at the TV
- Suspecting midwestern kids of being cryptonazis
- Using your Oscar speech to spread hate
Others picked up on it.
#MAGAphobia:— ALX ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@alx) February 25, 2019
•@OGrichard_ experienced it at Whataburger
•The man in the Vape Shop experienced it
•The 14 year old boy in the Vans Store experienced it
•Nick Sandmann & the Covington kids experienced it
•@HaydenTrilliams experienced it at UC Berkeley
Stand Against Hate! pic.twitter.com/Ir4XOeC686
America has seen a rise in hate crimes since Trump took office, with a 17 percent increase in 2017. But don’t tell that to persecuted MAGA stans who can’t see beyond their own myopic world view.
It was when Posobiec asked his followers for instances of #Magaphobia that his panicked proclamations of victimization were revealed to be as banal as can be.
Once my family found out I liked Trump, they started harassing me on a daily basis. My nephew that who goes to a liberal arts school, I think he's gay, blocked every channel except for Bravo on my TV. I had to pay $50 for a tech to come fix it.— The Cyber (@r0wdy_) February 26, 2019
Kavanaugh- I’ll never get past what they did to that man and then it was oh well on to the next.— Karen Gregory (@karentexan) February 25, 2019
Not being able to tell friends and neighbors we support Trump for fear of retaliation against our kids.— Deplorable Sam (@Daydrmsam) February 25, 2019
My husband wore a MAGA shirt. One of our customers saw him in it and stooped bringing his dog to our doggy daycare— Deplorable Sam (@Daydrmsam) February 25, 2019
Every Episode of Rachel Maddow— Carpe Donktum🔹 (@CarpeDonktum) February 25, 2019
Fears of tense family dinners and TV shows with viewpoints that you disagree with were the most Posobiec’s fans could come up with. He also started to get trolled.
Taco Bell REFUSED to give me an English language menu. If anyone knows the English words for tacos, tortillas, burritos, and cinnamon twists, please let me know. This is America and we (as should all menus) speak English!!— All in All It’s Just A Dick Trying to Build A Wall (@LosernameAndPW) February 25, 2019
I tried to hunt the homeless for sport and the police told me that was illegal. Guess they never heard of the 1st Amendment. #Magaphopia— Sean Moore (@smeghead4269) February 25, 2019
My step sister banished me from christmas dinner this year unless I wore a cat costume and crawled around on all 4s and drank milk from a bowl and let everyone pat my haunches just because I lvoe the donald #magaphobia— stench house (@sssstenhouse) February 25, 2019
My doctor refuses me service!! They strap me to a gurney, cut my shirt off, and give me raspberries on my belly until I cry! #MAGAphobia is real!!— Lars Guff (@LarsGuff) February 25, 2019
While Trump supporters have faced instances of violence, they support a president who has been rabid in inciting his base of followers to commit acts of violence against journalists and his political opponents and has stoked fear toward people of color.
Nothing any Trump supporter—people who are largely white and male (like Posobiec)—has faced compares to anything persecuted minorities in America experience.
They’ll be alright.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]