- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials 5 Years Ago
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars 5 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free 5 Years Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm Today 7:00 AM
- Why everyone wants to debate AOC, and no one wants to debate Ilhan Omar Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Trvl Channel online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Are we going to get a ‘Community’ movie on Netflix? Sunday 2:46 PM
- Social networking site Ravelry bans all posts that are supportive of Trump and his administration Sunday 2:07 PM
- YouTube is testing hiding its comments section Sunday 1:23 PM
- Think you have what it takes to be Beyoncé’s assistant for the day? Sunday 1:02 PM
- Facebook co-founder warns against Libra, the company’s new cryptocurrency Sunday 12:04 PM
- Missing YouTuber Etika’s belongings found alongside bridge Sunday 9:16 AM
The borscht is strong with this one.
Apparently discontent with his subordinate position in the Galactic Empire, the powerful Sith lord known as Darth Vader has trained his pitiless gaze on planet Earth, and a specific region, no less.
He just declared his intention to campaign for the presidency of Ukraine.
Radio Svoboda reports that Vader already holds a position as chairman of the Internet Party of Ukraine, first established in 2007, and has filed the necessary paperwork with the country’s Central Election Commission to appear on the ballot in a special election to be held on May 25. He’s also made the required and hefty financial deposit of 2.5 million Ukrainian hryvnia ($225,225), which suggests this is more than an irreverent prank.
If we had to guess, we’d say this was a scathing comment on the imperialist intentions of Vladimir Putin’s Russia in the Crimean peninsula. But in watching Russia Today’s video of Vader announcing his candidacy to standing applause, you have to wonder if it’s not a full-blooded political revolution. Still, he may want a mask that covers his chin.
In some sense, the truly shocking news here is the surprise Chewbacca endorsement.
Update: Terrible news for fans of democracy everywhere—it’s now being reported that Ukrainian authorities will not allow Darth Vader to run for president. On the plus side, looks like he’s still doing campaign events.
Ukraine has ruled that ‘Darth Vader’ cannot run for president. Here he is buying meat in a Kiev market today pic.twitter.com/HJUQd8Ulp4
— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) April 3, 2014
How to sum up our devastation? Oh, right.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'