- The 10 best science podcasts to teach you about our world 5 Years Ago
- How to make sure you have access to every Instagram filter 5 Years Ago
- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
Darth Vader is running for president of Ukraine
The borscht is strong with this one.
Apparently discontent with his subordinate position in the Galactic Empire, the powerful Sith lord known as Darth Vader has trained his pitiless gaze on planet Earth, and a specific region, no less.
He just declared his intention to campaign for the presidency of Ukraine.
Radio Svoboda reports that Vader already holds a position as chairman of the Internet Party of Ukraine, first established in 2007, and has filed the necessary paperwork with the country’s Central Election Commission to appear on the ballot in a special election to be held on May 25. He’s also made the required and hefty financial deposit of 2.5 million Ukrainian hryvnia ($225,225), which suggests this is more than an irreverent prank.
If we had to guess, we’d say this was a scathing comment on the imperialist intentions of Vladimir Putin’s Russia in the Crimean peninsula. But in watching Russia Today’s video of Vader announcing his candidacy to standing applause, you have to wonder if it’s not a full-blooded political revolution. Still, he may want a mask that covers his chin.
In some sense, the truly shocking news here is the surprise Chewbacca endorsement.
Update: Terrible news for fans of democracy everywhere—it’s now being reported that Ukrainian authorities will not allow Darth Vader to run for president. On the plus side, looks like he’s still doing campaign events.
Ukraine has ruled that ‘Darth Vader’ cannot run for president. Here he is buying meat in a Kiev market today pic.twitter.com/HJUQd8Ulp4
— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) April 3, 2014
How to sum up our devastation? Oh, right.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'