- The eyes have it in these ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ memes Today 2:13 PM
- Facebook let advertisers target users interested in infamous Nazis Today 1:58 PM
- Dem senator promises to put net neutrality on the ‘political hot seat’ in coming months Today 1:28 PM
- Someone figured out that Toothless from ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ looks just like Bulbasaur Today 12:44 PM
- Disturbing Snapchat video shows 17-year-old throwing dog on trampoline Today 12:16 PM
- How to watch the new Bon Appetit channel for free Today 12:03 PM
- Eminem disses Netflix for canceling ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:50 AM
- Florida prisons sued for depriving inmates of music they paid for Today 11:36 AM
- Chris Hemsworth will become Hulk Hogan for Netflix biopic Today 11:29 AM
- Fortnite just introduced a K-Pop skin, and here’s how to unlock it Today 11:06 AM
- The YouTuber who exposed the site’s ‘softcore pedophile ring’ is under attack Today 10:39 AM
- Trump randomly calls for companies to ‘step up’ their 5G efforts in U.S. Today 10:28 AM
- Professional media person: Poor people have money but they just waste it on ‘benders’ Today 10:22 AM
- Netflix acquires highest-grossing blockbuster of 2019 (so far) Today 9:29 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez blasts media over home reports after Coast Guard member’s hit list revealed Today 8:52 AM
The borscht is strong with this one.
Apparently discontent with his subordinate position in the Galactic Empire, the powerful Sith lord known as Darth Vader has trained his pitiless gaze on planet Earth, and a specific region, no less.
He just declared his intention to campaign for the presidency of Ukraine.
Radio Svoboda reports that Vader already holds a position as chairman of the Internet Party of Ukraine, first established in 2007, and has filed the necessary paperwork with the country’s Central Election Commission to appear on the ballot in a special election to be held on May 25. He’s also made the required and hefty financial deposit of 2.5 million Ukrainian hryvnia ($225,225), which suggests this is more than an irreverent prank.
If we had to guess, we’d say this was a scathing comment on the imperialist intentions of Vladimir Putin’s Russia in the Crimean peninsula. But in watching Russia Today’s video of Vader announcing his candidacy to standing applause, you have to wonder if it’s not a full-blooded political revolution. Still, he may want a mask that covers his chin.
In some sense, the truly shocking news here is the surprise Chewbacca endorsement.
Update: Terrible news for fans of democracy everywhere—it’s now being reported that Ukrainian authorities will not allow Darth Vader to run for president. On the plus side, looks like he’s still doing campaign events.
Ukraine has ruled that ‘Darth Vader’ cannot run for president. Here he is buying meat in a Kiev market today pic.twitter.com/HJUQd8Ulp4
— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) April 3, 2014
How to sum up our devastation? Oh, right.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'