- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
Almost every PC hit by WannaCry ransomware runs Windows 7
If you are a part of the nearly 50 percent of PC owners still using Windows 7, now would be a great time to update.
Researchers are still trying to piece together details from the “WannaCry” ransomware attack that infected hundreds of thousands of computers in more than 150 countries. What we do know is that Windows 7 systems were impacted at a substantially higher rate than machines running Microsoft’s other operating systems.
According to data from Kapersky Labs, almost 98 percent of computers affected by the ransomware ran a version of Windows 7. Windows Server 2008 R2 accounted for a majority of the remaining 2 percent.
— Costin Raiu (@craiu) May 19, 2017
Windows 10 users shouldn’t worry about being vulnerable to WannaCry despite the latest OS’s appearance on the above chart. Costin Raiu, director of global research and analysis at Kapersky, says the .03 percent of Windows 10 computers containing the malware were infected manually by testers.
Windows XP, the third most popular Windows OS, is notably absent from the conversation. Many believed the malware was spread on unsupported systems like XP or Vista, but the data shows it instead went straight for the most popular Windows OS around, and one that is still supported by Microsoft.
If you are a part of the nearly 50 percent of PC owners still using Windows 7, now would be a great time to update to Windows 10.
H/T the Verge
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.