- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
You have more control over your Facebook feed than you might think.
Alright, you can’t take it anymore. Your friend’s crazy political rants are constant, unending, and really, really annoying. It’s time to do something about it. It’s time to unfriend them.
If you’re not sure how to do that, we’ve got you covered. However, if you’re also not quite sure if you’re ready for the potential backlash of actually unfriending them, there are alternatives you may not be aware of.
You have two main options: You can unfollow them, or you can unfriend them.
How to unfollow someone on Facebook
If you don’t want to fully block or unfriend someone, you just want them out of your feed, there’s good news. You can simply unfollow that person. You’ll still technically be friends: You can visit one another’s profiles, post to one another’s profiles, chat on Messenger. You just will no longer see any of their posts in your feed.
To do this, head to their profile, then tap the “Following” button in the upper right. There, tap the Unfollow option at the bottom of the menu. If you change your mind at some point, you can always come back here and follow the person again.
On mobile, head to the person’s profile, tap the “Following” icon, and similarly, select the option to Unfollow. (You can alternatively tap the checked off “Friends” icon and select Unfollow from there.)
- How to unblock someone on Facebook
- The 10 best Facebook Messenger hidden features
- How to check your Facebook messages without Messenger
How to unfriend someone on Facebook
If, however, your friend has scorned and shamed you, and it’s time to part ways, you can still unfriend them. Head to their profile, and click the checked-off friends menu on the right. At the bottom, select unfriend. Henceforth, the virtual ties that bind the two of you on Facebook will be severed.
On your phone, head to their profile, then tap the checked off “Friends” icon. Then, select “Unfriend.”
Once you’ve unfriended someone, if at some point you change your mind, you’re going to have to send them a friend request again. However, if you’re confident in your decision (and we’re sure you are), your Facebook feed will be far more pleasant after your pruning.
Need more help? Here’s how to lock down your Facebook privacy settings, see who unfriended you, and how to delete a Facebook page. We can also help you change your name on Facebook or disconnect Facebook from Instagram.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.