- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children 2 Years Ago
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
Alright, you can’t take it anymore. Your friend’s crazy political rants are constant, unending, and really, really annoying. It’s time to do something about it. It’s time to unfriend them.
If you’re not sure how to do that, we’ve got you covered. However, if you’re also not quite sure if you’re ready for the potential backlash of actually unfriending them, there are alternatives you may not be aware of.
You have two main options: You can unfollow them, or you can unfriend them.
How to unfollow someone on Facebook
If you don’t want to fully block or unfriend someone, you just want them out of your feed, there’s good news. You can simply unfollow that person. You’ll still technically be friends: You can visit one another’s profiles, post to one another’s profiles, chat on Messenger. You just will no longer see any of their posts in your feed.
To do this, head to their profile, then tap the “Following” button in the upper right. There, tap the Unfollow option at the bottom of the menu. If you change your mind at some point, you can always come back here and follow the person again.
On mobile, head to the person’s profile, tap the “Following” icon, and similarly, select the option to Unfollow. (You can alternatively tap the checked off “Friends” icon and select Unfollow from there.)
- How to unblock someone on Facebook
- The 10 best Facebook Messenger hidden features
- How to check your Facebook messages without Messenger
How to unfriend someone on Facebook
If, however, your friend has scorned and shamed you, and it’s time to part ways, you can still unfriend them. Head to their profile, and click the checked-off friends menu on the right. At the bottom, select unfriend. Henceforth, the virtual ties that bind the two of you on Facebook will be severed.
On your phone, head to their profile, then tap the checked off “Friends” icon. Then, select “Unfriend.”
Once you’ve unfriended someone, if at some point you change your mind, you’re going to have to send them a friend request again. However, if you’re confident in your decision (and we’re sure you are), your Facebook feed will be far more pleasant after your pruning.
Need more help? Here’s how to lock down your Facebook privacy settings, see who unfriended you, and how to delete a Facebook page. We can also help you change your name on Facebook or disconnect Facebook from Instagram.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.