- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
At one point in time, you wanted to share every image you posted to Instagram on Facebook, too. Now, you have second thoughts about that tie—maybe Instagram posts should just live on Instagram. No sweat. You can disconnect Instagram from Facebook, and it only takes a couple of seconds.
How to how to unlink Instagram from Facebook
The easiest way is to head to the source: your Instagram app. Open up Instagram on iOS or Android, then tap the settings icon in the upper right of your profile. From there, scroll down to Settings, and tap Linked Accounts.
There, you should see that Facebook is highlighted blue with a checkmark next to it. Tap it, then tap the “Unlink Facebook” button. To make your decision final, tap “Unlink” to confirm you want to disconnect the two apps.
Now, you will no longer be able to automatically post to Facebook from Instagram.
Keeping the two accounts un-linked is a good idea for security reasons. If someone ever hacked your Instagram, for example, any hacked postings would only live on Instagram (instead of being shared across both social media feeds).
- Who has the most followers on Instagram?
- The simple trick to using screen recording in iOS 11
- How to use Kodi on Roku without jailbreaking your device
- How to check your Facebook messages without Messenger
For those unlinking the two apps for ideological reasons, there is an important caveat you should know. Facebook acquired Instagram back in 2012. So, if you think that by disassociating the two accounts, you’re sticking it to Facebook… You’re not, really. Instagram moved its servers from AWS to Facebook’s data centers in 2014. Deep down, Facebook still has your data—and your photos.
In the future, if you decide you do want to post your Instagrams on Facebook, you can easily link the two together again. Just head to Linked Accounts in your app’s settings again, and tap Facebook. The app will remember your Facebook credentials, and the two will be connected again instantly.
Need more help? Here’s how to repost on Instagram and download full-resolution Instagram photos. If you’re looking to spice things up, here are some tips for Instagram flirting and how to find porn on Instagram (and instructions on how to clear your search history).
If you’re feeling petty, here’s how to tell if someone blocked you on Instagram and see all of the people who unfollowed you. You can also unblock someone. For more tips, see our ultimate beginner’s guide to Instagram.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for clarity.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.