- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
- Senator proposes Do Not Track bill to allow consumers to opt out of data gathering Tuesday 10:54 AM
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul Tuesday 10:36 AM
This device turns your iPhone into a Gameboy—and no, it’s not a joke
Hyperkin is currently working on a device to turn your iPhone into a real Gameboy using actual cartridges.
Yesterday Reddit went absolutely crazy for a new concept that would turn your iPhone into a Gameboy, and it turns out, it’s real. We can now confirm that the tentatively titled SmartBoy will be something you can eventually buy.
But it wasn’t always that way: A press release from Hyperkin states that what was “originally a planned April Fool’s Joke” is now “a full-fledged project for consumer release.”
The SmartBoy is an attachment for your iPhone 6 Plus that lets gamers insert their actual Gameboy cartridges, giving them the same experience of playing Pokémon Yellow as a kid, this time with a high-quality screen and minus the AA batteries.
According to Hyperkin’s product developer, Chris Gallizzi, the team “wanted to create a retro device that can be easily adapted into any modern gamer’s arsenal of devices.”
The main question that many redditors were asking was if the SmartBoy would be coming to other devices. The Daily Dot reached out to Gallizzi and he confirmed that the team is experimenting with both Android and Windows handsets as well.
Although it’s still in very early conceptual stages, Hyperkin does want to bring a classic Gameboy experience with a bevy of modern features. It includes an 8-way D-pad, two action buttons, and start and select buttons. The device will also have a built-in battery for extended play sessions, and will run through an app that will bring “noticeable upscaling,” a cheat database, and save states.
Hyperkin doesn’t have a release date yet, but it’s still a Nintendo fan’s dream that this thing is more than a joke.
Photo via Hyperkin/Imgur | Remix by Jason Reed
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.