- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Today 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Today 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Today 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Today 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Today 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Today 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Today 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
Yesterday Reddit went absolutely crazy for a new concept that would turn your iPhone into a Gameboy, and it turns out, it’s real. We can now confirm that the tentatively titled SmartBoy will be something you can eventually buy.
But it wasn’t always that way: A press release from Hyperkin states that what was “originally a planned April Fool’s Joke” is now “a full-fledged project for consumer release.”
The SmartBoy is an attachment for your iPhone 6 Plus that lets gamers insert their actual Gameboy cartridges, giving them the same experience of playing Pokémon Yellow as a kid, this time with a high-quality screen and minus the AA batteries.
According to Hyperkin’s product developer, Chris Gallizzi, the team “wanted to create a retro device that can be easily adapted into any modern gamer’s arsenal of devices.”
The main question that many redditors were asking was if the SmartBoy would be coming to other devices. The Daily Dot reached out to Gallizzi and he confirmed that the team is experimenting with both Android and Windows handsets as well.
Although it’s still in very early conceptual stages, Hyperkin does want to bring a classic Gameboy experience with a bevy of modern features. It includes an 8-way D-pad, two action buttons, and start and select buttons. The device will also have a built-in battery for extended play sessions, and will run through an app that will bring “noticeable upscaling,” a cheat database, and save states.
Hyperkin doesn’t have a release date yet, but it’s still a Nintendo fan’s dream that this thing is more than a joke.
Photo via Hyperkin/Imgur | Remix by Jason Reed
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.