- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football 7 Months Ago
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? 7 Months Ago
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
Search giant Google has urged its users to immediately update their Chrome browsers after discovering that a zero-day vulnerability was being actively exploited.
The security hole, which was actually patched in an update issued on March 1, surrounded a memory management error in the browser’s FileReader.
Google Chrome’s security lead, Justin Schuh, revealed the urgency of the situation this week when calling on users to update their browsers “right this minute.”
Also, seriously, update your Chrome installs... like right this minute. #PSA— Justin Schuh 🤬 (@justinschuh) March 6, 2019
The Chrome team also released a statement noting that details about the bug would be “restricted until a majority of users are updated with a fix.”
Exploiting the vulnerability would allow an attacker to carry out what’s known as RCE, or Remote Code Execution, and potentially implant malware on a user’s computer.
How to update Google Chrome
Chrome users are urged to check their browser to confirm they are running version 72.0.3626.121. To do so, simply locate the About Google Chrome option. First, click the three dotted menu button, scroll down to Help, and click About Google Chrome. You will be shown your current browser version and be alerted if you have an update pending.
Always make sure your browsers, software programs, and computer operating systems are up-to-date in order to best protect yourself from vulnerabilities.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.