- Woman with Tumblr page devoted to Dylann Roof arrested for plotting terrorism Today 2:32 AM
- How much money do you need to book Beyoncé for your wedding? Monday 8:00 PM
- Twitter is stoked about Netflix’s Fyre Fest documentary Monday 7:37 PM
- Jacquees launches Twitter debate after calling himself ‘King of R&B’ Monday 6:52 PM
- Watch a British politician steal a ceremonial mace to halt Brexit proceedings Monday 6:07 PM
- Dog waits for weeks by his family’s burned house after California wildfire Monday 5:45 PM
- Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes suspended from YouTube Monday 3:46 PM
- The best sex toys for couples to heat up the holidays Monday 3:35 PM
- Chrissy Teigen shares tattoo her dad got of her face for her birthday Monday 3:31 PM
- Kavanaugh votes against hearing Planned Parenthood defunding case Monday 3:14 PM
- YouTube’s 2018 Rewind video is one of the most-hated videos of all time Monday 12:37 PM
- Roger the buff kangaroo has died at the age of 12 Monday 12:34 PM
- Elon Musk says no one is censoring his tweets Monday 12:22 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for heist movie starring Ben Affleck and Oscar Isaac Monday 12:18 PM
- Offset tweeted about missing Cardi B—and the internet isn’t having it Monday 12:17 PM
Photo via JaysonPhotography/Shutterstock (Licensed)
You may have unseen messages in your Facebook inbox.
Facebook is like an onion. You can take its features at face value, but if you dig a little bit, you can find things typically hidden in your day-to-day interactions on the social network. One such example: Messages. “I use Facebook Messenger and check my inbox regularly,” you may say. However, you may not realize that you have some hidden messages waiting for you here.
When you normally check your Facebook Messages, you’re only seeing chats from bonafide friends. That isn’t actually all of your messages. Facebook filters messages from folks you aren’t friends with. Usually, this is good—many of these messages are pure spam. However, every once in a while, a legitimate message from a not-yet-Facebook-friend ends up in this no man’s land.
How to find hidden messages on Facebook
To check for your hidden messages, open up Facebook on the desktop. Then, tap the Messages icon in the upper right. In the menu that pops up below, you’ll see that “Message Requests” is grayed out next to “Recent.”
Select Message Requests. Here are messages from Facebook users wanting to chat with you, but aren’t yet your friend. You can also tap “See Filtered Requests” at the bottom of this menu for potentially more missed messages.
You can also access these messages from Facebook Messenger. In the app, go to Settings in the bottom right (it’s the icon that looks like a list), then tap “People.”
Similarly to on the desktop, tap “Message Requests,” then “Filtered Requests.” This will show you all the messages Facebook deemed unworthy of your time.
- The 10 best Facebook Messenger hidden features
- How to check your Facebook messages without Messenger
- How to recover deleted messages on Facebook Messenger
Once you know about this secret inbox, it’s a good idea to check it every month or two, just to make sure nothing important slips through. I, unfortunately, did not heed this advice. After not checking this inbox in more than six months, I found a message from an old work colleague sitting ignored…and I felt like a huge jerk. Don’t be like me.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.