Ever wondered what people are actually downloading and reading on their e-readers? We have an inkling now. Amazon has revealed a list of the most popular Kindle books of all time.
If you were hoping to see highbrow, classic novels and surprising, enlightening nonfiction tomes—well, don’t hold your breath. On the fiction side of things, nearly every book on the list has been turned into a movie. It’s also largely young adult fiction.
The nonfiction list, however, includes a wider variety of titles. Some fall into the self-help side of things, while others tell tales that are movie-worthy (as evidenced by the fact that they have since been turned into movies). Biographies and autobiographies definitely dominate the rankings, though.
For the top 10 titles in both categories, read on below.
If you love the Fifty Shades or Hunger Games trilogies, you are in very good company. Both titles dominate the fiction charts.
- Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James
- The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 1) by Suzanne Collins
- Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 2) by Suzanne Collins
- Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3) by Suzanne Collins
- Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James
- Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- The Help by Katherine Stockett
- The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Amazon’s nonfiction list includes a number of New York Times bestsellers, as well as several books that have been adapted into movies.
- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
- Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo, Sonja Burpo, and Lynn Vincent
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary Chapman
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in the U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle, Scott McEwen, and Jim DeFelice
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot