- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Monday 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Monday 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Monday 11:49 AM
Matthew McConaughey knows how to commit to a character. He’s known for taking on major transformations for roles, from Dallas Buyers Club to Magic Mike. This dedication was likewise apparent when he packed on the pounds to play Moondog, the pot-smoking, beer-drinking, womanizing protagonist in the 2019 stoner comedy The Beach Bum, from writer and director Harmony Korine.
The role certainly was not his most glamorous to date, but you get a sense that maybe it was an over-the-top glimpse of the actor’s real life persona. Or perhaps he just enjoyed the role so much that it radiates. In either case, it might be worth checking out, and the good news is that The Beach Bum just started streaming on Hulu.
What’s the film even about?
McConaughey’s Moondog is a free-spirit poet who roams around the Florida Keys on the dime of wealthy wife Minne (Isla Fisher). The Beach Bum follows Moondog as he tries to stay sober long enough to write his new novel, which he assures everyone will be the next big American classic. It’s also vital he gets the book done, because if he doesn’t, Minnie is cutting him off financially.
Along the way, he meets some pretty interesting characters played by a star-studded cast, including Zac Efron, Jonah Hill, Snoop Dog, Martin Lawrence, Stefania LaVie Owen, and even Jimmy Buffett himself. The influence of Korine, who also directed Spring Breakers, is very apparent throughout The Beach Bum.
Is The Beach Bum the film for you?
The Beach Bum premiered at South by Southwest in March of 2019 to mixed reviews. It clocks in on Rotten Tomatoes at a relatively abysmal 31%–as critic Shannon McGrew explains, “The Beach Bum isn’t made for everyone and that’s okay, a lot of people will struggle with the point of the film, which, ironically, I kind of think is the point of the film.”
Yet, all thing considered, McConaughey’s received praise for his performance in The Beach Bum. It’s clear that he immersed himself in the character and the result is that it just felt overwhelmingly natural. The Beach Bum is the ultimate when it comes to chill, dry comedies–so if that’s your cup of tea, it might be worth a stream.
Still not sure what to watch on Hulu? Here are the best movies on Hulu, what’s new, the best shows on Hulu, the sexiest movies you can stream on the service, scary movies, Hulu documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu originals.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.